Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Really dissapointed

(17 Posts)
beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 10:46:25

I've just had to ring up the Wacky Warehouse i had booked for DD's birthday party to just check that it would be ok for adults to go into the ball pools and up onto the second level as 10 out of the 13 children invited have physical disabilities only to be told they can't.

I'm so dissapointed, DD loves the ball pool and slide and we were really looking forward to it.

The manager said that as its a birthday party and not one of their "special needs" sessions then the adults can't go in.

And the local soft play for special needs children was almost 3 times the price to hire with half the stuff the WW had.

So sad sad

Quinny1 Tue 06-Oct-09 10:51:39

I would be very temted to find out where their HQ is, and ring them with your complaint.

This might be of help to you:

http://www.punchtaverns.com/Punch/Corporate/About+us/Contact+us/

beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 11:05:25

Thanks for that, i may just do that as it seems discriminatory but they pulled the "our insurance doesnt allow it unless its a special needs session".

Guess it's back to a teddy bears picnic in the house.

cyberseraphim Tue 06-Oct-09 11:13:23

Could they tell their insurers that they are having a special needs birthday party? Ask for proof that they have done this and ask on what grounds the insurance company refused cover ? It would seem odd if they allow cover for other events designated as SN and if insurance were duly informed.

Tessofthedinnerbells Tue 06-Oct-09 11:21:22

This certainly needs challenging. Please don't just accept the word of one member of staff.

Specially arranged SN session! What about "INCLUSION" - Society is diverse & they cannot discriminate against ability any more than they can race or religion.

Disability discrimination act says something about children being entitled to assistance to participate in activities as any other child. Can't remember the exact wording but am sure someone will be along soon that does. We should consider having this tattoo'd to our palms to hold up whenever we come accross this sort of response.

Sorry - getting all outraged on behalf of your dc, as we all should.

Aaaannnnnd breeeeeaaaaathhhh! aaaaaaahhhhh.
smile

beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 11:30:59

I wonder if i should have a word with our local access group. They took on WHsmiths when they put the post office counter upstairs and people had to go in their service lift which you couldn't fit a powered wheelchair in (they won too).

It makes me really sad as we have been to the place on numerous occasions with our Portage service and we have been on the second level and down the slide. I just get the feeling that its too much trouble for them.

beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 11:32:40

I should add that i don't think i will get anything sorted for DD's birthday (12th November so invites would have to go out around now) but i don't think i will let it drop.

First step ringing the owner.

Thanks

catkinq Tue 06-Oct-09 11:41:25

I've always gone in to the ball pit with my children and still do, I just don't ask.

Tessofthedinnerbells Tue 06-Oct-09 11:43:17

Check the wording of the Discrimination Act first so that you're well and truly ready to recite it to them when you call. Hopefully it'll put them in their place.

In the meantime, why not let other parents of SN children know about this particular place? wink

beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 12:35:05

Well i have spoken to Customer Services at Punch HQ and the woman on the phone was very nice and seemed a bit baffled herself.

I just explained that we were confused that they can host Special Needs sessions and the Portage family parties and the parents are able to go on the 2nd level but it isnt allowed at a normal birthday party.

She has passed it onto Guest Services to investigate, so hopefully something good will come back.

Thanks

beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 12:36:10

Oh....i plan to let parents know as i run a website for parents of children with special needs in the county i live in and i was going to recommend this particular place.

Will have to see if they change their tune.

Tessofthedinnerbells Tue 06-Oct-09 13:04:40

Well Done You! A girl after my own heart!

Should start a new thread, "Shrinking Violets R Us" ???

meltedmarsbars Tue 06-Oct-09 13:50:30

Nope, should be "Shrinking Violets Aren't Us"!

Its very easy to become a campainer, isn't it!

Tessofthedinnerbells Tue 06-Oct-09 14:24:36

Easy to become a campaigner?... Well, I didn't volunteer for this. It's just that when they asked for volunteers, all my friends stepped backwards....

(Acshully, I'd argue with myself in a darkened room).

Go on, you do it. Start the new thread & see who the real campaigners are.... The Real Puddle Martyrs.... Or ... I only fought because I found myself up to my neck in it. I'll come and join you on it later.

beldaran Tue 06-Oct-09 14:37:21

eh?

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 06-Oct-09 15:00:59

DDA definitely.
I have always been allowed to accompany my 10 year old severely autistic son at our local place.

beldaran Thu 08-Oct-09 10:53:31

Just a little update.

Haven't heard back from Punch yet, but i went to visit another pub with a funbarn attached who are more than happy to let adults go in...and it doesn't have to be a "special" session. I spoke to the Manager so i have it from the top person, plus their party sounds better than the WW.

I think i have found the relevant section of the DDA so i will wait to see what they say.

Thanks for all the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now