Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Radio 5 Live.. I phoned in and was crap...!!

(22 Posts)
SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 13:37:20

Did anyone hear? It was a programme about this whole inclusion row that is going on. I fully appreciate the argument that many SN children are suffering in mainstream, but I wanted to make the point that generalisation is the problem. Whether or not an SN child will cope/thrive in a mainstream environment is, I think, not down to whether they have SN or not.. but the type of SN they have. For example, the vast majority of children that were being discussed had at least some degree of autistic spectrum disorder and while I don't know an awful lot about ASD, Ihave witnessed for myself, how the stress and noise of mainstream can affect children.

My DS, who is doing fantastically well in mainstream YR, is severely disabled, both physically and with learning difficulties but his socially abilities are his strong point so mainstream suits him down to the ground, at least at present.

So I rang to make this point.. got put on.. but sadly I was in the car park of Home Base and had got out of the car and gone and sat on a concrete bollard so that DH, who was in the car, could still have the radio on (because you can't talk live on the radio whilst next to it.) So I was talking.. and this lady came up to me and started asking me if she could take the trolley I happened to be sitting near!! I ignored her, got up and walked off (she must have thought me very rude but I was trying to talk on BBC Radio FGS!) and for a few moments, completely lost the thread of what I was saying.. Think I got it back.. DH said I sounded ok.. but he would. Eeek! Ah well.. there goes my broadcasting career option!

SJ x

almostanangel Thu 09-Jun-05 13:38:56

lol wish i had been !! lol wish that lady had called you names and then started a row ,,now that would have been radio!!

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 13:44:01

Hmm that would have been amusing Angel!!

mears Thu 09-Jun-05 13:48:10

It's nerve wracking being on the radio isn't it? Did it once and thought I sounded awful - was being interviewes for breast feeding week. Taped it for posterity Didn't haer you though - was in bed this morning sleeping off the night shift.

Cosmo74 Thu 09-Jun-05 13:52:21

Was this BBC cause they usually do a listen again feature online - what time were you on at and I will check if you can listen again.

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 13:53:34

Yes Mears it is scary.. I was going great guns until the trolley woman came along and completely threw me though, lol! If I had been home I would have written down the gist of what I wanted to say.. Ah well.. I think the gist did get across regardless.

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 13:55:03

Yes Cosmo there is.. eeekk... will look for it... bit scared now through as you're all gonna hear exactly how crap I was...!

Cosmo74 Thu 09-Jun-05 14:00:13

Let us know if you find it and what show and time you were on at so we can all hear - I am sure you were fine and came across very well.

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 14:04:22

Hmmm... *worried emoticon*... am just listening to it.. waiting for my bit.. eeeek here it is. Nearly as bad I was imagining.. lost the plot in the middle a bit.. how do I link to the right section I wonder?

JoolsToo Thu 09-Jun-05 14:05:25

you should have asked for sponsors while you were at it!

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 14:09:32

Ok.. this is the link to the site...

Radio 5 Live ... then click 'listen again' on the bottom-ish righthand corner.. then click 'morning phone in' at the bottom of the Popular Shows list... then fast forward about an hour and a half.. I am 'Clare in Medway' (because I was in Medway.. (scarily near HappyDaddy no doubt) . at Homebase!.. at the time!)

SJ x (Ps don't laugh at all my um..ahs.. will you!! There was a strange woman trying to get my attention about a trolley I knew nothing about!!)

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 14:10:12

LOL JT.. yeah, I might have made more sense!

flashingnose Thu 09-Jun-05 18:29:12

I heard this!!! I was wondering if anyone on it was a Mumsnetter .

Wondered what had happened to you in the middle....!

You came across really well, mad trolley woman aside .

Satine Thu 09-Jun-05 18:49:55

Well I think you handled mad trolley woman very well and recovered beautifully! You got your point across very well.

jenkins88 Thu 09-Jun-05 19:32:28

Good for you SJ!! Thought you recovered really well. Had to laugh at the woman asking you about the trolley while you were talking live on radio. What a nightmare

JakB Thu 09-Jun-05 20:44:27

Heh love, I listened to most of this but think I missed you. Damn. Will listen online.

flashingnose Thu 09-Jun-05 20:45:04

It's at about 1hr45-ish.

aloha Thu 09-Jun-05 20:48:32

Oh, never write down what you want to say first - it makes you sound like a robot on radio. I bet you came over really well. Passionate people speaking spontaneously nearly always do. The trolley woman wouldn't have helped, however

marthamoo Thu 09-Jun-05 21:07:02

I think you did really well. Good on you for ringing up! I was interviewed on TV once - camera crew came into work and stuck a camera and microphone in my face. Honestly, I was like a cross between a rabbit in headlights and a goldfish (mouth opening and shutting but not a lot coming out)

SleepyJess Thu 09-Jun-05 22:06:05

Thank you.. you are all very kind.... considering!

Fio2 Fri 10-Jun-05 07:11:05

:well done SJ did you get my CAT btw <stalk stalk>

SleepyJess Fri 10-Jun-05 11:05:53

Fio yes.. I emailed you last night.. did you not get that?! (counter stalk! )

SJ x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now