Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hospital Phoned To Say DS Will Have MRI On Thursday

(6 Posts)
chinchi Mon 05-Oct-09 19:33:42

My DS (2) was born at 29+5, and due to a lack of oxygen at birth, a scan revealed a cyst on the right side of his brain when he was a week old

He has been under consultant care since, and was diagnosed with CP in July. We have been waiting for what seems a lifetime for the MRI scan. Apparently the first referral (May 2008), was lost in the system.

Anyway, the hospital phoned this afternoon to say that his referral had been re-submitted, which a note saying that he should be seen immediately. They asked how this Thursday was, and so I jumped at the chance.

Anyway, to get to my point(!), what should I expect on the day? The told us to arrive at the childrens ward at 8am. I am waiting for the secretary to phone me back. She said to expect a call this evening, but very much doubtful at this time.

trace2 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:45:21

when dd had her we had to go in for 7 30am took down to sleep at 10 am back by 11am ish she was fine went home after dinner. good luck

feelingbetter Mon 05-Oct-09 19:47:42

Hi Chinchi,
Glad its all sorted and that you haven't long to wait. Details are a bit hazy now as DS had his MRI in June, but I remembered posting on this thread at the time so dug it up for you.
Hope it helps and Good Luck x

pumpkinpasties Mon 05-Oct-09 20:02:49

hi chinchi, ds had his when he was 3 weeks old and was doped up on phenobarbitone, so is a bit different. but i believe they have a general anaesthetic, but they send them off to sleep with the gas before they put any needles in and its really quick. i know its hard but try not to worry x

HairyMaclary Tue 06-Oct-09 09:15:01

My DS had his MRI at just over 1 adjusted age (he was born 29 +2 and has CP also). He had the gas through the mask and struggled a lot, but went off quite quickly. It took about an hour until I was called back in. When he awoke he was v v grumpy and stayed so for about 2 hours! Looking back I think he was just hungry but almost too hungry to eat. For the next GA's (and he's had a few now!) I don't wait - as soon as he's awake enough I give him juice swiftly followed by a food I know he will eat. This has meant that he has not been as grumpy after a GA again.

We were allowed home as soon as he had eaten and drunk, they wanted him quiet too but when that became obvious that it wasn't going to happen the let us go. He fell asleep i the car and slept for a few hours. In his GS's since he has always eaten, drunk and then gone back to sleep for a while!

This is what is was like with us, it may be a bit different for you but the staff are generally v good as they do it a lot with children. Ask, ask and ask again though if you are not clear!

Fluffypoms Tue 06-Oct-09 10:49:26

DD was put under by injection we were able to go into annesthtic room, but not mri room. we waited outside for what seemd like forever! (an hour really) I got to carry her back up to ward she was fine so had a snack box and a drink, checked she had passed urine and we were allowed home.

good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now