Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does receptive speech take a backseat when one has a leap in expressive speech?

(6 Posts)
Poshpaws Mon 05-Oct-09 19:06:02

DS2 (4.5) has just started Reception. We noticed almost immediatley that his expressive language increased and is still doing so.

However, questions that I knew he could answer in the summer, he now seems to struggle with, such as 'Who are your friends?' 'What did you do today?'

I promise that I am not bombarding him with questions (learnt not to do that when DS1 started Reception) so was wondering if he will regain (and hopefully improve) his understanding quickly?

Thanks

TotalChaos Mon 05-Oct-09 19:14:36

I wonder if rather than being a decrease in receptive language it's more that your DS finds it hard to both understand your question and then come up with an appropriate answer if it's about something that isn't in front of his eyes at the time you ask iyswim? I would ask less open ended questions for the time being - Did you play with X? Did you do reading/singing/PE today?

MumOfThreeMonkeys Mon 05-Oct-09 19:15:42

my dd has very expressive speech and she talks constantly day and night to anyone and everyone that will listen but if i ask her one question she will not answer me and just carrys on talking about what she wants to talk about btw she is 5.4 and asd m/s LD

Poshpaws Mon 05-Oct-09 19:24:33

Thanks for both replies.

TC, that is probably what I should do. I used to do that when he was at nursery but have recently fallen into the trap of asking the 'W' questions as I had seen real improvement. Might have know that he was not miraculously cured wink

magso Tue 06-Oct-09 08:52:22

Maybe at the end of a school day the skills that have been in use all day are a bit worn out. My ds (much older) seems to need down time when he gets home from school, and rebuffs even closed questions (he still cannot cope with open ended questions). However after rest and tea he is more communicative!

linglette Tue 06-Oct-09 09:09:41

I'm sure it won't just be the kids with language delay that struggle to answer those questions smile

Nice that his expressive speech is blossoming smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now