Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

special needs child and NT child travel

(24 Posts)
fairydust Thu 09-Jun-05 12:23:13

we're considering ttc no.2 but one of the majuor factors will be transporting them around when i'm on my own (mon-fri)

I have a dd who is currently nearly 3 1/2 so if we try soon then dd would be 4 / 41/2 when the baby comes.

I have to walk 20 mins to get dd to nursery (this is the closest) and she has limited mobilty.

Don';t like the idea of slinging /baby carriers as i alerady get a bad back and am very clumsy as it is.

So i just wondered what other people do/did??? with regards to buggy's etc

fairydust Thu 09-Jun-05 12:24:01

As obviously must doubles are small even now for her

anniebear Thu 09-Jun-05 14:36:21

is there anyway she could stand on a buggy board?

Or you can get them that they can sit on.

But if it was my SN DD she would be jumping off every few minutes!!!

PrettyCandles Thu 09-Jun-05 14:54:31

If your dd is still small enough to fit into ordinary buggies (and my ds at 4.5 still is, just), then have a look at Bebe Confort - they do a chassis that can take any combination of two of buggy seats and carseats and has a built-in buggyboard as well. Theres another called Marco Sky, which is a rather interesting umbrella-fold tandem, so I would imagine has bigger seats than a normal double. And there was also a strange device mentioned recently which was like a bicycle seat attached to a buggy. I can't remember enough about it to search though! Will try if you're interested.

lunavix Thu 09-Jun-05 14:55:33

PC - not sure about marco sky, I have one and it struggles around a 14 month old I mind...

PrettyCandles Thu 09-Jun-05 14:58:41

I don't really know the Marco Sky - a local mum has one so I've seen it around, but that's about it!

PrettyCandles Thu 09-Jun-05 15:04:21

Here we go
(goodness knows what it's like to use though! )

Fio2 Thu 09-Jun-05 15:08:26

mine were only 22 months apart so i used a double buggy. i have been thinking about this as we are maybe considering number 3 on a good day. There is a lady who lives on my street who is wheelchair bound and she has just had a baby and she has one of these pram things that fits to the front of the wheelchair. I really think if you ask wheelchair services they do something like this.

Btw we had a buggy board for dd when she was only just really 'toddling' and she held on fine with it. As long as they can stand, they are usually ok with them. OIbv you have to keep an eye on them

Oh and I am so excited you are going to try for another

Chuffed Thu 09-Jun-05 15:22:55

I saw one of these at the market and thought it was great.
here

RnB Thu 09-Jun-05 15:25:45

Message withdrawn

Chuffed Thu 09-Jun-05 15:50:08

yeah you can just take the seat off when you don't need it anymore. I thought is was so cool that I went up to total strangers and asked what type of pushchair it was, the lady had been asked so many times she wrote down the website for me on a bit of paper. She had a 3 yr old and she had tons of room and the lady said it was a great pushchair.

maddiemo Thu 09-Jun-05 16:00:46

I use a Mothercare double Urban Detour. It is very light and easy to push even though my sons are 3.8 and 6.8 years old.

Fio2 Thu 09-Jun-05 16:21:05

maddiemo your youngest must be almost exactly the same age as my ds, is his borthday in october?

fairydust Thu 09-Jun-05 16:43:21

maddiemo - is that the mothercare one???

how tall are you your two please.

thanks all for yuor help i'm a little step closer i think

Fio2 Thu 09-Jun-05 16:46:46

just out of interest fairydust, can you drive? you know if you apply for the mobility component of DLA you can apply for a motobility car? this might make your life soooo much easier

fairydust Thu 09-Jun-05 18:06:49

i can't drive as the mo - and one day i will learn but i don't think i can wait that long

fairydust Thu 09-Jun-05 21:32:48

bumping for maddiemo

eidsvold Thu 09-Jun-05 23:29:45

fairy dust - I have an almost 3yo who has very limited mobility at this point in time and a 7 month old. I have a three wheeler that has a toddler seat that you clip on the front of the buggy. It is brilliant - my seat can take up to 15kgs and as dd is only 12 we can use it for a while to come. The other good part - when dh and I are together - dd1 goes in her stroller and dd2 goes in the pram and we just push one each. I tried the sling/pram combination but dd2 was so heavy it killed my back. I also have a buggy board but have not been game enough to try that figuring my dd1 would be off like a shot the minute I stopped for anything.

My SIL had a hiking carrier - brilliant - great back support etc. She found that fab - she could put the babe in the pram and carry the toddler in this seat and it did not bother her back at all. This carrier was a proper hiking one - so very supportive.

maddiemo Fri 10-Jun-05 00:55:55

Fio end September.
Yes it is the Mothercare one.
Fairydust My six year old is 113cm tall. My three year old is about 90-100cm.

Their legs don't reach the floor from the buggy yet. We use it loads.

fairydust Fri 10-Jun-05 07:53:33

fio - so did you use a buggy for long then????
DD can stand unaided so do you think she'd be ok?

so to keep asing all theese questions but as this would be a big factor if we have another need to get it right.

fairydust Fri 10-Jun-05 10:35:03

bump

fairydust Fri 10-Jun-05 20:09:11

bump

matnanplus Fri 10-Jun-05 22:28:40

To butt in, there is a buggy from NZ that is 3 wheeler that you can add a 2nd seat unit under and behind the normally positioned seat, saw it in OZ and looked 'cool' mum had new baby and 5yr old, no prob to push and lower seat fully removable when not needed.

Try this \link{http://www.daisyandtom.com/Search.do;jsessionid=aQzfAt8jEbSa?keyword=Phil+and+ted}

Hope this helps.

Fio2 Sat 11-Jun-05 15:32:02

yes i used the buggy board until ds was strong enoough to walk everywhere. i asklo had a side by side buggy which I used until dd started school in september HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now