Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Pitocin and autism

(21 Posts)
debs40 Sat 03-Oct-09 20:15:47

Does anyone know anything of the link, if any, between the use of pitocin (synotocin) to speed up labour and autism?

waitingforgodot Sat 03-Oct-09 20:26:52

Oh I read something about this very recently. I think there was a theory that it had an effect however it was disproven as pitocin has been in use for decades and doesn't correspond to the high number of ASD cases now.
Will see if I can find it

LeonieBooCreepy Sat 03-Oct-09 21:14:24

Message withdrawn

MoonlightMcKenzie Mon 05-Oct-09 22:52:54

debs - By all means research, but you could drive yourself nuts trying to find a 'cause' or blame, not least because it is unlikely there is any one cause to autism. It is probably a predisposition that is 'triggered' by other things.

My own personal view is that the birth method is significant, but not so much related to pitocin, - more the starving of the baby of the love/bonding hormone oxytocin (which would occur in an induced labour, or one where the woman is extremely scared or has a bad experience). There is current research being conducted that seems to suggest inhaling the hormone reduces autistic traits.

However, you do have to remember that the number of babies born to induced women, far outweighs the number diagnosed with autism.

Finally, think about what you would do if you did become convinced that induction causes autism? You still have to deal with the child NOW, and you'd not have a hope in hell of suing for compensation, at least not unless you could 'prove' without doubt that induction 'caused' autism and currently you wouldn't be able to, even if you could show it could have iyswim.

asdx2 Mon 05-Oct-09 23:22:29

I had pitocin with all five of mine. The first has dyspraxia, numbers two and three are NT but mathematically gifted and four and five have autism.
Paed said though that dyspraxia, giftedness and autism are all thought to be related and linked to chromosome 15 which is seemingly normal in my two with autism.

debs40 Tue 06-Oct-09 00:17:12

MoonlightMcKenzie - you're completely right. I just read it on a link somewhere (as you do) and wondered if it was complete mumbo jumbo or there was anything to it. smile

claw3 Tue 06-Oct-09 00:54:16

Hi Debs, i had it to speed up labour.

But i also had to take antibiotics for a urine infection throughout my pregency.

Ds was born using ventouse, after traumatic labour and head was very bruised and swollen, apparently there are links to this.

He was also born with Rhesus disease and had jaundice, links to this too.

Spent the first 2 weeks in intensive care in an incubator deprived of all human contact, being fed through a tube and having his heels pricked every half an hour, blindfolding, naked, splint on his arms to stop him pulling tubes out.

OT seems to think that life in an incubator is to blame, as 9/10 children she sees started life there.

So many different theories.

claw3 Tue 06-Oct-09 01:04:38

I used to wonder about the cause, as Moonlight quite rightly says it wont change anything, but perhaps some closure or peace of mind somehow.

cyberseraphim Tue 06-Oct-09 07:06:21

I had pitocin to speed up labour due to foetal distress. I have seen the pitocin theory before but although I am not a scientist, I find it difficult to get drawn into theories that don't have any clear proof - also foetal distress itself may either be the 'cause' or the indicator of autism.

anonandlikeit Tue 06-Oct-09 16:48:29

ds2 was emergency C section at 28wks as foetal distress.
He started life (2 mths) in an incubator.
His psych also said a large % of children she sees suffered some form of birth trauma.

PeachyTentativelyPosting Tue 06-Oct-09 17:01:30

I didn't have it before labour, ds1 labour satrted with prostaglandin gel but no drip needed (very bad PG and labour though- eclampsia, hyperemesis needing meds, heart worries in labour with signf distress)
, IUGR

BUT

With ds3 totally gifted perfect labour a week post term

Last night (evesdropping on convo) there was discussion about anaemia and ASD< both maternal (in pg something I always had big issues with) and foetal. No references though.

Speaker last night is working on the NICE ASD dx guidelines due out in 2011 and kept empahsising genetic link,beyond that I eally do think it can be any of a million triggers, and if your child doesn't get exposed to one there will be a million others to trigger

waitingforgodot Tue 06-Oct-09 17:08:53

I gave birth on my due date. I had a great pregnancy and a great birth. I did have pitocin which helped speed things up but textbook pregnancy and birth.
It would be really interesting to hear about other peoples experiences

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Oct-09 17:37:56

nah, they're indigo babies here to save the world according to a psychic I had the good fortune to sit nect to on a flight! Although mine is a crystal baby apparently.

debs40 Tue 06-Oct-09 17:44:39

indigo babies ...I like that!

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Oct-09 17:54:06

yeah it's true!

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Oct-09 17:56:34

'The trouble comes about when the Crystals are judged by medical and educational personnel as having "abnormal" speaking patterns. It's no coincidence that as the number of Crystals are born, that the number of diagnoses for autism is at a record high.'

waitingforgodot Tue 06-Oct-09 18:14:27

Aw I have a crystal baby too!

PeachyTentativelyPosting Tue 06-Oct-09 18:40:20

Ah yes that crap- thre was a book on holiday about ANgels that I was taking the piss out of showing DH, and then gasped in horror as I found a section about how kids with LD are really angels sent to teach us. About the same time my eldest angel was beating ds2 and DH had to restrain him.

Heaven must be a really odd place then.

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Oct-09 20:27:03

Teach us what exactly?

That Local Authorities are full of hardnosed gatekeepers who keep their sanity about their ridiculous caseloads by turning into the wallpaper and remaining there until retirement.

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Oct-09 20:27:43

Well I've learn that lesson, so could someone please remove my ds' difficulties.

anonandlikeit Tue 06-Oct-09 21:06:31

prof Baren-Cohen was on our local news last night (they are doing a series this week about AS)
He didn't mention crystal or indigo babies, I wonder if he's done any research?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now