Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this narrative?

(8 Posts)
cyberseraphim Sat 03-Oct-09 10:23:41

DS1(ASD 5.7) has started to tell us a story from his book - at least that's what it seems like. He looks at his Cranky The Crane book and says three phrases.

(1) 'Cranky The Crane fell down' - An echolalic phrase of long standing.

(2) 'Bang Bang' - No idea where this came from.

(3) 'Sore Sore' - He has known this word and its meaning properly for a while.

Eye contact is excellent and we have to agree and repeat every phrase with him - again and again and again.

MojoLost Sat 03-Oct-09 16:49:53

Wow cyber, this sounds really good to me. Our SALT is desperately trying DS to be more expresive when it comes to books.
He is now much better at sitting and listening to a story, and he will talk about things he can see on the page, but he still doesn't talk about the actual story.

cyberseraphim Sat 03-Oct-09 16:50:58

Well this is new territory - so let's hope it continues ! But can't help feeling a bit excited !

Phoenix4725 Sun 04-Oct-09 19:49:06

what abou taking pictures of a day out and getting Dsto place in order and talk about , to help with telling story but still have visual prompts

moondog Sun 04-Oct-09 22:42:07

Yes. smile
Try and make it a flexible skill by applying it to other books and simple everyday sequences of events.

(Cookery is brilliant for narrative. Flour in bowl. Egg. Milk. Stir. Cook. Do you get my drift)

cyberseraphim Mon 05-Oct-09 10:47:04

I like the idea of a photo day - I could photograph each stage of the day and put it in a book for him and see if it gets him talking. This is such a new development that I have to take time to think it through. I have been trying all weekend to film a clip of him telling the story but needless to say without much success !

silverfrog Mon 05-Oct-09 12:27:01

that's really great - well done mini-cyber!

if it's any help, Bonusprint do regular offers on photosbooks.

dd1 has several A5 sized books - I get one whenever they do them for free (you pay P&P).

they can be really useful in putting together this kind of "story day", or a record of a holiday etc.

dd1 flips through hers describing what epople are wearing/doing, where we were when it happened, etc.

I am quite surprised by her memory recall at times.

troutpout Mon 05-Oct-09 13:08:12

smile
clever boy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now