Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Core Stability

(11 Posts)
Jo5677 Thu 01-Oct-09 17:29:10

Hi all,just a quick one,my son who has asd and is almost 8 has been recently described by his O.T as having core instability (although i have always told them his muscle tone isn't what it should be and he's been having O.T since he was 3).
Anyway it'd be really good if anyone else on here could tell me if they have a child who has weak core stability and how it was diagnosed and is being treated.
Would be really good to hear from anyone who has any info on this or who's child has this kind of problem.
Many Thanks, Jo.

cory Thu 01-Oct-09 18:51:05

Both of mine have problems with core instability as part of their hypermobility syndrome. They do physio which includes balancing exercises and exercises to help proprioception. Ds loves his balancing board. I would ask the OT for exercises.

LollipopViolet Thu 01-Oct-09 18:55:47

If I've got this right, isn't that the sort of thing you can use those yoga balls to work on? I know I've done exercises with them at the gym as part of a class.

Jo5677 Thu 01-Oct-09 18:59:44

Thanks for that Cory,i'll ask the O.T about one of those.
I've been googeling a bit about core stability and it does say about those balls Lollipopviolet.
Haven't got much feedback yet or gleamed much info from the net about causes and how these things are diagnosed so guess i'll have to wait til i get hold of O.T.

claudialyman Thu 01-Oct-09 19:38:28

You may get more info around it in sensory integration/sensory processing disorder books (in the proprioception sections)

LIZS Thu 01-Oct-09 19:47:20

ds has used a gym ball, seated and lying across balancing supported by his hands
high and low kneeling while doing an activity such as writing or playing on a ds
stretching his arms above his head ie climbing or to throw a ball through a basketball hoop
balancing on all fours then lifting a hand, a leg, then both in opposition(ie r arm, l leg).

If he has problems sitting still at shcool he needs to be assessed to find a comfortable position and chair and may find a Move and Sit cushion helpful.

Scottie22 Thu 01-Oct-09 20:30:27

We got lots of exercises from OT/physio for dd who has low tone in her trunk - hence problems with core stability. She has mild difficulties with co-ordination and muscle tone in general but no dx.
We do use gym balls but dd not keen on them unfortunately - best one is her sitting on ball and me rolling her backwards gently onto cushions holding onto legs.
We also do lots of dancing, swimming and climbing as it all helps.
I've not heard of those cushions LizS - will have to ask OT about that when dd starts school as she's constantly shuffling around when she sits!

Jo5677 Fri 02-Oct-09 09:25:13

Thanks claudialyman,LIZS and Scottie22.
My son goes to teakwando and swimming each week and spends a lot of time on our trampoline too,we also get him to the parks as often as possible so he can climb lots etc.
He sits nicely at school (so they tell me) but i will definately be asking about a gym ball for him.
Thanks for replying, Jo.

LollipopViolet Fri 02-Oct-09 16:28:53

Jo, if you go through physio, OT etc to get one, make sure it's got anti-burst up to a big weight, that way it'll last years and won't need to be replaced so often. The ones at my gym will hold up to 300kgs!

haggisaggis Fri 02-Oct-09 16:34:38

My dd has core stability issues - doing balance excercises (balancing on one leg at a time, kneeling one leg bent up throwing / catching a ball , wheelbarrow excercises) all made a HUGE difference. I haven't bought a yoga ball yet - the one the physio used with her was a peanut shape so she could lie across the middle of it so more secure.

Scottie22 Fri 02-Oct-09 20:08:12

Sorry to hijack thread Jo but could I ask you all a question?? My dd walks with a slight 'swagger' due to her core muscles being weak - she's 28 months and has been walking for about 8 months. Is this something you have seen with your dc and does it improve in time??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now