Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

occupational therapy

(3 Posts)
nuru Thu 01-Oct-09 13:37:02

Just looking for advice or experience please.

In my area, the OT dept has a long list of 'types' of children that they do not see, and dd2 falls into one of those categories, which I think is dodgy as it goes against the 'no blanket' criteria that should be operated.

That aside, we are toying with the idea of getting a private OT assessment done to get a clear and more impartial view of her needs.

My question is, would a private report be accepted into her statement (up for full review in April with her starting Reception next Sept). And if it is, is there any precedent similar to the one for SLT that means we can get it into Part 3 (ie. educational)

Any ideas? Thanks!

r3dh3d Thu 01-Oct-09 15:50:45

Yes, I believe there is precedent, but it's along the lines of "education = life skills for SLD", I don't know if it would be easy to generalise from there to peripheral therapy for a kid who was able to access conventional education. SOS!SEN could probably advise. The relevant judgement (Bromley) is on the IPSEA web site.

In principle they would have to counter any private OT report with their own OT report contradicting the need. They can't just ignore your evidence. But it will be more of a fight because the child is already statemented - they're harder to change than to set in the first place, especially if it is not a new need, but you didn't mention it originally.

nuru Thu 01-Oct-09 21:29:13

Thanks! Will look that up on the IPSEA website.

As she is currently in nursery so only mornings, the statement will have to be majorly reviewed and revised moving to fulltime, so am hoping we can get the OT in then. There are references already to fine motor, seating issues, etc as needs, but the provision is not specifically linked to OT, iyswim.

I'm thinking along the lines of writing, accessing things due to being tiny, developing independence etc.

She has Down's, btw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: