Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statementing - which tack to take?

(12 Posts)
misscutandstick Wed 30-Sep-09 16:34:11

I have asked for yet another assessment.

In my bit should I ask for assessment because:

A) NO-ONE will give me any reports whatsoever and so i have absolutely no idea what his needs are.

B) State that his needs are not being met, ie. hes been at nursery for 2wks now and on 3 occasions I had to pick him up early/ assist with him at school because they dont have the staff to 1-1 care for him (twice for music - he just runs amok, and once for assembly - which he has no hope at all of sitting thru)

C)same old Dx stuff (ASD, GDD, non-verbal,) plus new info of brain injury.

I just want to mention that i have no quibble at all with school, they are wonderful caring people who love him to bits.

So what sort of route should i take?

Incidentally we shall also be going to BIBIC in the next few weeks, so hopefully reports there should help too.

WWYD?

MoonlightMcKenzie Wed 30-Sep-09 18:12:38

It has to be because his needs are not currently being met really. The diagnosis stuff will support your request but the assessment will be to assess his needs, not his disability iyswim.

As a result of the assessment you will be able to get the reports.

Make sure you request the assessment from the Local Authority. Don't go through the school, although it would be polite to tell them that you are doing it.

Good luck.

misscutandstick Wed 30-Sep-09 18:18:40

I already requested an assessment before summer hols and got refused. But he wasnt actually in nursery then - he only started nursery a couple of weeks ago.

I did tell school, although they wished me luck, they arent being overly helpful about it.

Incidentally, they have called a multi-agency meeting tomorrow, inc 'medics' (which wont show up), SALT, teachers and the Ed Psych. Although i asked what for, i didnt get much of an answer, so i assume its just a 'tick-in-the-box' meeting.

MoonlightMcKenzie Wed 30-Sep-09 19:15:10

Who refused you? If you did it the 'official' way you might have to wait 6 months.

They always call a multi-agency meeting when you mention the word 'statement'. It is an attempt to reassure you that you don't need one.

misscutandstick Wed 30-Sep-09 20:12:26

i dont understand why schools dont want children to have one???

Yes we did it the 'official' way. head of LEA and everything.

MoonlightMcKenzie Wed 30-Sep-09 20:21:48

Because it is a legal document, and although it states what 'additional' support you should be getting from the LA, it also outlines the support you should be getting from the school.

Because it is legally binding, if your child's Speech and Language in-house therapist goes off sick, they have to cover the cost of a private one.

misscutandstick Wed 30-Sep-09 20:27:22

ah, i see.

didnt see it from that viewpoint.

I naively assumed that they would welcome extra cash into school...

dont suppose you know the legal standpoint of asking me to collect him early because of different activities that he wont cope with? Surely hes entitled to 5 half days (3hr sessions), but hes only doing 1.5hrs a morning - unless they want me to collect early, then its less.

MoonlightMcKenzie Wed 30-Sep-09 20:58:35

No, but call ipsea. It is disability discrimination to exclude him.

www.ipsea.org.uk/helplines.htm

It is easier to get through to them in evenings.

MoonlightMcKenzie Wed 30-Sep-09 21:00:05

Also, how long ago was your request refused. The majority of refusals are overturned at tribunal. Ipsea can sometimes give you a caseworker if you need one.

misscutandstick Thu 01-Oct-09 09:06:13

Many many thanks for your help so far MMc, the MA meeting is at 12.30 today, will let you know what they have to say...

sc13 Thu 01-Oct-09 10:45:01

Good luck - we're going through the process too.

MoonlightMcKenzie Thu 01-Oct-09 15:37:37

No problem at all. I'm going through the process myself right now, so I'm not an expert, but my knowledge IS current iyswim.

They are currently doing the statutory assessment and we expect our statement in Early Nov.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now