Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Some advice re: sensory issues

(11 Posts)
eidsvold Wed 08-Jun-05 06:41:15

My friend's dd (2yoand SN) has a real problem with noise. She can't stand noises like the blender, hairdryer, lawn mower, backhoe ( doing work at their house). She gets very distressed and says away, away. She even reacts if she hears the moise on the TV - eg watching a cooking show - the chef gets out the blender and she reacts.

Her mum is hoping to desensitise her (?) but is not sure how to go about it. She also thought about being referred to an ENT in case there is a physiological reason for it. Her dd has very good hearing. My friend thought if she put her dd a distance from whatever - eg the blender and ran it for a short time and then each successive time bring her closer and run the blender longer... iyswim.

Any other suggestions or any advice from anyone who may have had to do this with their child???? greatly appreciated!!!

Davros Wed 08-Jun-05 10:11:22

She might find this interesting. The Listening Program is a home-based auditory integration system. I have always been scared of full-on AIT as I think its very intensive, restrictive and expensive! With this you can use it over and over and you get good advice from their practitioners. They may have one is Oz, they have one in the UK.

coppertop Wed 08-Jun-05 10:38:28

Ds1 used to like wearing a big pair of earphones similar to the ones that DJs use. Ds2 won't tolerate them though so a lot depends on the child. Ds2 used to prefer hats pulled over his ears but that might not be such a good option if it's very hot.

MotherEve Wed 08-Jun-05 15:16:48

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but I will anyway

I'm just completing a university module on sensory issues in autism - there's a lot of info that I have pulled together here regarding this. One of the main things that I discovered was that sensitisation doesn't always work - it may be worth a try however.

I have bought DS a pair of industrial ear defenders and warn him so that he can put them on whenever I am hoovering or liquidising!

RnB Wed 08-Jun-05 15:37:27

Message withdrawn

coppertop Wed 08-Jun-05 15:40:18

MotherEve - Can I be a nosey old b*gger and ask which degree course you did/are doing? I'd love the chance to look into these kinds of things one day.

Davros Wed 08-Jun-05 17:21:24

I know someone who swears her child was worse after formal AIT. I am going on an NAS conference next week and sensory issues is one of the topics (as well as challenging behaviour, why else would I go?). The place to get ear defenders is the Transair Pilot shop, prob get it on google, they also do bottle-thingies for pilots on long trips who get caught short called Little Johnnie, tee hee.

MotherEve Wed 08-Jun-05 18:09:33

Hi Coppertop

The degree is with Ultraversity. A totally online degree - three years to complete and is basically based on your role - whether that be paid employment (there are quite a few school assistants doing it - that was the route I took initially) or your role as parent/carer, which is what I'm doing now. I managed to be in the first Cohort - not sure whether that was a wise move as we've been guinea pigs!

Information is here and at the moment it costs £600 per year - plus a few books - most of my research is culled from online sources and you also get electronic access to the university library.

Sorry to have taken this off topic!

coppertop Wed 08-Jun-05 18:21:55

It looks like an interesting course - although it's a bit beyond our budget atm. I think it's something I would look into when ds1 & 2 are a bit older. Thanks.

MotherEve Wed 08-Jun-05 18:26:08

No probs

eidsvold Thu 09-Jun-05 06:20:45

thanks so much for those ideas.. will pass them on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now