Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

really need advice about the treatment in ms schools

(13 Posts)
Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:50:41

hi, my ds is 6 (will be 7 in jan) he was diagnosed with GDD a few years ago, obviously since then we have had our ups and downs and it hasnt been easy, it has been hard work, especially when we came to sort out his statementing we were lucky at that time we had professionals helping us and fighting our corner, he received 27 and half hours, which he really does need. Anyway we decided to move, but we did not expect such different treatment. The first statement review meeting to be held at his new school happened about a couple of months after he started, they did not adhere to what was in his statement at that time, which meant he missed out on his hours for 2 months. They then slashed the hours with the head telling me they dont allow that many hours around here, well at that point i didnt know any different, and it was the head that slashed the hours as assessment and monitoring let that slip a few months later, the head is awful she never listens to any concerns we have, just says that everything is fine and he needs his independence, which is the most annoying thing in the world. He is now in year 2 which he hates, and we feel that his lsa is not with him for the hours she is meant to be, and i have had this niggling feeling they were using her as the 3rd class teacher, which was kind of confirmed when a welcome to class pamphlet came home saying " Miss xxxx, Miss xxxx & Mrs xxxx are looking forward to meeting their new class. The last name is my sons lsa, why would she be mentioned on this as she should really have nothing to do with the rest of the class AIBU. It really makes me angry especially as he has made no progress in a whole year except instead of counting to 5 he now go to 10, and cant write his name, and its like they dont correct him when he does these mistakes. i found out the other day he was pushing in the lunch queue so they kept him in for afternoon break, how can they punish someone later for something, apparently he also lashed out after his lsa left one day and hit another child, i dont condone this but its cos he doesnt understand, but they dont realise this, and in my eyes they treat him like a normal child. His dad has done a letter to the school guvnor but whether they bother to respond to this is another thing. not sure we would trust them anyway. Right if anyone has any advice up til now let me know what you would do, any questions just, cos obviously this is just snippets so you kinda get what i am saying, thanks peeps

vjg13 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:15:06

How long has he been at this school?

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:21:26

just over a year now

anonandlikeit Mon 28-Sep-09 20:46:07

Hi Tiredmum.
I think in your shoes I would in writing ask for an urgent review, as you have concerns regarding his lack of progress.

When at the meeting stick to the facts, they should easily be able to quantify esactly what support he is recieving.

Ask for a breakdown (wriiten) of where his hours are being used.
Ask for details of the strategies used to help him access the curriculum - How are they diferentiating to accommodate his needs.
Look at his IEP's see where this fits in with his gtargets.

If there is no eveidence that he is being helped to work towards his IEP targets (in line with his statement). Then they need to tell you what they are going to do about it.

Ask them what specific training his LSA has recieved to help support your ds.
What provisions are in place should the LSA be unwell.

If you feel at the end of the meeting that the school have not demonstrated that they are adequatly meeting his needs then tell them what you feel should be done about this.
Be clear about what you want before you go in to the meeting.
An increase in his hrs may help but its useless if the school are not going to use them to benifit your ds.

One of the governors should have responsibility for the school SEN policy, try to discuss with that particular governor.

Also if you feel you ar enot getting anywhere clal your local parent partnership or IPSEA.

Remember, you know your ds best, dont let the Bastards fob you off!

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:59:01

aww thanks we feel like banging our heads against a wall, and its funny how you should mention if his lsa is off unwell as she wasnt there today, but the school dont tell us this we have to find out off our ds, and we hate questioning him all the time to try and piece together what happens, and we certainly dont like the thought of him being alone all day being taught at the level of his peers. Since he has been back after the holidays which is a good few weeks, no IEP's have been done, we kept asking but gave up again we get fobbed off with i need to speak to his old teacher before i set the IEP. We feel so bad for sending him to this horrid school but as everyone knows its not so easy just to up and move him, it takes time, its so frustrating that you try to trust people in the hope they caring for your son, and look what happens

anonandlikeit Mon 28-Sep-09 21:04:21

I feel for you, it is awful when you just don't know whats going on.
But keep going, don't let them beat you.

Honestly though if the schools attitude is wrong then you are going to ahve a never ending battle.
Have a look at alternatives, it may be that there is a school that WANTS your son. x

vjg13 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:37:02

I agree with anonandilkeit in asking for the early review and sending a detailed request outlining your concerns. The school will have to respond to this.

I would also start finding out about other schools in your area even just by talking to other parents and then later having a visit because it does sound as if there are fundamental problems with the management of this school and that they are using your son's TA inappropriately.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:41:06

thanks for the responses, it is so nice to get to talk to people who actually understand. but that is what we will do get an early meeting review i think. and i have now started to look at the alternatives, one being a special needs school. as we know something has to change, and i still really believe they are using his TA inappropriately. he also has glue but she speaks so quiet and soft i am surprised he can hear her at all again they know all this but as usual they know best.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:41:52

i meant glue EAR sorry

vjg13 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:50:15

My daughter is 11 and also has GDD. She has fluctuating hearing loss from glue ear too!

My daughter spent 1 year in mainstream and then moved to a mainstream school with a resource unit. She is now in year 7 at a MLD special school and I honestly feel she is really in the right place now. It took us well over 2 years to get her moved from her previous school as the head teacher was very dishonest with us about how she was getting on. We only got the true picture when we had a independent EP visit the school and the report she gave us was devastating.

Good luck.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:57:43

when you say EP do you mean educational Physcologist? how do gat an independent one i didnt know they existed.

vjg13 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:03:51

Yes I do.

We had been worried about her school and had started looking around at other schools.
The school we initially liked was non-maintained and they paid for the independent EP report so that we could use it at a tribunal if we had to. The visit and report costs about £500. I think an organisation like IPSEA would be able to suggest someone.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:19:09

thanks for that we will look into it tomorrow. we will give ipsea a call. ta again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now