Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Bloody scouts

(43 Posts)
sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:07:22

Message withdrawn

Jo5677 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:23:47

Hi Riven,that is pretty disgusting.
When my ASD son was starting swimming lessons it was suggested to us that he have special one to one lessons but as his brother was going to be starting at the same time too he'd been looking forward to going with him. I told the leisure center he'd like to try the usual swimming group first and thankfully he's got on really well (done better than his bro so far...a first for him !).
Also he does taekwando (helps his dyspraxia) and the teachers been great with him and treat him like everyone else.
Lots of 'profs' have suggested 'special' after school activity groups he could join but there's been no need. I think kids should be given the chance to find out what suits them best be it SN groups or not.
It makes me really angry when i hear of incidents like that.
I'd try and take it further with whoever, especially as she refered to your daughter as 'children like that'.
Take care, Jo x

fishie Mon 28-Sep-09 09:28:59

That's terrible, I am really shocked. you must complain - i think there's a district commissioner or something. She'll be spreading her prejudice amongst all the beavers...

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:34:17

Message withdrawn

DoNotPressTheRedButton Mon 28-Sep-09 09:44:49

That's a shame, ours is s0o much the oppsoite- positively AFTER ds3 to sign up and ahs some of his schoolmates already.

Assuming theya re like Guiding the area should have a disability co-ordinator (if not, try Rainbows? I'd have ahd her like a shot).

Another reason to move here you know wink

The only thing I can imagine being an aiossue is if the hall has access issues- ours was in a bell tower so stairs but that is very unusual (and would have been a handy excuse to Go Elsehere as I would have loved....)

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 09:45:46

Message withdrawn

DoNotPressTheRedButton Mon 28-Sep-09 09:47:14

Pffft no excuses- people kept suggesting DH do it all the time (although as it's Gloucestershire or cycle on Mway we decided against it wink)

2shoes Mon 28-Sep-09 09:55:40

SN ghettos ffs
some people don't want to have their dc's used to educate the ignorant.
horrible offensive term

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 10:09:56

Message withdrawn

Sneezecake Mon 28-Sep-09 17:30:47

this is what scares me so much when ds gets older, is he going to come up against predudice like this? its disgusting, and she should be made to do a training course with some sn children i wonder will her attitude change then?

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 17:35:18

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Mon 28-Sep-09 17:56:06

Riven ry looking if their is a woodcraft group near by best way of describing it is hippy scouts.Ds1 and DD go and ds 3 will go when old enough they hve already agreed to it

cornsilk Mon 28-Sep-09 18:00:41

That is absolutely disgusting Riven. I am so cross for you.

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:08:45

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Mon 28-Sep-09 18:15:43

Scouting association website states:
'Scouting is open to all young people aged 6 to 25 of every faith and background.'
There's a 'contact us' option on there as well.

Phoenix4725 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:16:32

where abouts in Bristol are you not all groups ar elisted can ask tonight when pick up DD

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:17:45

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:22:19

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 28-Sep-09 18:57:24

have you got a carer to go with her? I can understand that the volonteers would not be able to do 1 = 1 , I couldn't even get that at PHAB. but with her own carer I can't see the problem

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:10:01

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 28-Sep-09 19:54:53

that is discraceful

magso Mon 28-Sep-09 19:58:54

I am sorry you have come across this Riven. I hate the term 'children like that' too!
It is my understanding that the scouts like all organisations are not allowed to exclude a child because of their disability (unless there are health/safty issues that cannot reasonably be overcome). Sometimes it is imagination that is the barrier or simply not knowing how to include a child! One of the points about this short break initiative (well that is what has been asked for in our area)is to help get past barriers - for instance helping organisations include children (training, staged support whilst the child and volunteers settles in, ideas) Our ms beavers/cubs have been very good at including my son (ok with a lot of help from us). They have recruited extra young leaders to help include all children (ds is not the only sn child in our village pack). Sometimes the language has not been politically correct but their hearts have been in the right place!

magso Mon 28-Sep-09 20:00:19

Thats awful Riven! (sorry was several posts behind!)

vjg13 Mon 28-Sep-09 20:11:44

I'm really shocked by this. My daughter's Brown Owl has always been totally supportive and welcoming. We provide the 1 to 1 support.

She did have to wait to start because the pack was full but that applied to all new starters. They have invited her to stay for an extra year. Hope you hear from the other pack and it's good news.

sarah293 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:44:26

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now