Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SN HV first visit on Tues - any thoughts? (Plus benefits/financial help Q.)

(6 Posts)
JustKeepSwimming Sun 27-Sep-09 21:24:34

You may have been following my DS2's story with epilepsy. He is heading for brain surgery, possibly in November if all works out.

The local SN HV is coming to meet us on Tues (with our friendly HV).

What kind of things will she be thinking?

What kind of things should we be thinking?!

Also, I want to ask her about benefits/financial support as others on my Childminders thread have suggested we look into it.
We are thinking of paying someone to help out over the next few months.
We prob won't qualify for much means-tested stuff tbh but should we be looking into DLA? and what else?

Will ask her all this on Tues but like to be informed/prepared beforehand!

Anyone had an SN HV? and how did it help? or not?

HairyMaclary Mon 28-Sep-09 12:02:54

Hi, You should def be entitled to DLA, the form is long and depressing but worth doing. Remember to describe the worst day, don't dress it up, lay it all out mentioning at regular intervals how this particular thing requires much more help from you than it would for an NT child of the same age. If you don't work or earn less than £100(ish, can't remember exact amount) per week than you can also claim carer's allowance. It is not means tested on household income, just the main carer.

We have had an SNHV who to be honest was more interested in my younger NT son and just wanted to make notes about everything DS1 was doing / who he was seeing etc without offering any constructive help. However we were accessing everything available and were well supported, including Homestart etc so I don't think there was much she could do!

I would def ask about home start in your area there can be a waiting list but if they accept you, and they should, they match you with a volunteer who comes once a week for 2 - 3 hours, ours was fantastic and really helped, she would look after my younger one while I took Ds1 to therapy each week.

There is a system called Direct payments from the social services that it meant to provide funding to you for you to spend on getting help in to care for your son. WE don't have it due to many reasons but I have not pushed for it yet. It would be worth asking about it, SNHV will probably know who to call in your area but generally go through the SS Children with Disabilities team. If you don't get this or it takes too long then having DLA may help offset some of the cost for hiring some help yourself.

HairyMaclary Mon 28-Sep-09 12:04:06

Oh dear, sorry for the essay! Hope some of that helps!

Also if you get Child tax credits having a child who receives DLA means you get extra CTC.

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 12:11:53

Agree with all Hairy's advice, plus SNHV advises on continence stuff.

But thats about it, as far as I know. I find SS more knowledgeable, and then we get direct advice from OT, SALT, physio etc.

vjg13 Mon 28-Sep-09 13:44:26

Ours was good and organised our blue badge too.

JustKeepSwimming Mon 28-Sep-09 16:20:58

Thanks everyone, lots of questions to write down to remember to ask tomorrow!

Main things:

- SS practical support; Home Start, etc.

- SS financial support; direct payments, DLA, CA, etc.

- Links to practical help; OT, Physio, SALT, etc.

Anything else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now