Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Launch of human Ethics Cafes

(2 Posts)
eidsvold Thu 22-May-03 07:18:02

Just for interest - a friend emailed me about this.....

Ethics Café:

Who’s Afraid of Designer Babies?

Bulletin
of Medical Ethics

A discussion about the right to choose your baby…
… and the eugenics of choice

Dr Bill Albert, a disabled activist and member of the government’s Human Genetics Commission, will lead a dialogue on issues such as:

• Do you want a society that selects and rejects embryos according to their genetic make-up?
• Does the choice to abort a disabled foetus make eugenics acceptable in our society?

Basically this is the first in a series of discussions - focusing on human genetics and medical ethics.

This free discussion event will take place at
6.30pm on Tues 3rd June 2003

Bierodrome, 173-4 Upper Street, Islington N1

If you want anymore info I can email the flyer to you. It looks very interesting and I am considering attending.

Jimjams Thu 22-May-03 14:46:12

If I was still in London eidsvold I would go with you.

There was a vile woman in our local paper recently. She had 4 boys and wanted a girl. So she was paying 5000 pounds for IVF to get her girl. She was quoted as saying things like "the boys are looking forward to having a sister, and we can go shopping together in the future" She was obviously a bit stupid though as she didn't seem to understand that IVF only has at absolute best a 20% chance of working. Anyway it didn't work. So she's going to try again. But I was left screaming at the paper and what happens if she's disabled or something?- are you going to send her back??" She had 4 lovely healthy boys and she was monaing about how hard done by she was becuase she couldn't buy little dresses. Yuck yuck yuck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: