Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Well...Jack got his SN buggy yesterday...feel down about it....will I ever get past this??

(7 Posts)
proudestmummyever Fri 25-Sep-09 17:12:24

Jack got his buggy yesterday, he got the convaid cruiser, and it is just such a shock...

Feel soo down, I just never thought this day would come...

I dunno hw I will cope if people look at the buggy or make fun , I will go nuts angry, any advice??xx

MumOfThreeMonkeys Fri 25-Sep-09 17:27:39

just dont worry about wat other people think, just about how easier your life is gonna be and i bet in a few months you will be thinking how did i ever cope without it- thats been my experience anyway

deepbreath Fri 25-Sep-09 17:29:42

It's unlikely that people will make fun, we only had that pleasure because dd was still in her Major when she went into year 1 at school.

People often just look because they look different to standard pushchairs, and a lot of SN parents I've met also have a look to acknowledge you and your child too. Having Jack in the buggy might prompt people to ask questions about his condition, just have a think about what you're happy to tell them (if anything). IF anyone says anything negative, I think you have every right to go nuts.

cory Fri 25-Sep-09 21:22:55

dd has been in a wheelchair on and off since year 3 (she is now in Yr8), there have also been times when I have carried her to school (don't ask), times when she has crawled up the stairs at school to access classrooms, times when she has been incontinent- noone has ever laughed. Of course, some people are thoughtless, some are even cruel- but the vast majority are not.

I know it feels hard at first, but try to concentrate on the help it will be to him and all the things he can do if he has the buggy

UniS Fri 25-Sep-09 21:26:54

as likely, are the comments about a " cool" buggy,because its little different to the average McClaren.
teen boys are quite likely to notice and comment on engineering they like and find unusual."Mad" "wicked" and "bad ass wheels" have all been said to me while pushing a CTS Chariot. and the lads meant well.

5inthebed Fri 25-Sep-09 21:41:55

UniS, I was in Fenwick with my ds2 in his Major looking at baby prams pre-ds3, and was stopped by this elderly lady and her pregnant daughter asking me where I;d got it from, and if it was suitable from newborn. They liked it because it looked so sturdy. They were very apologetic/embarrased when I explained what it was for.

VPM, nobody will tease Jack about being in his new pram, they will probably be more understanding.

UniS Fri 25-Sep-09 22:56:25

yep, anything that stands out from the norm gets comments. now I live in the sticks I think the Chariot with its 20 inch wheels would get less interest as other people have mountain buggies with 16 inch wheels.
However we are now up to a tandem ( boy is not wanting to be pushed unless its pissing down and is VERY pleased to be up on the bike behind me. ) so are getting "novelty" comments all over again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now