Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

new here just saying hello <<< waves >>>

(10 Posts)
janess404 Thu 24-Sep-09 17:58:10

Hello All,

New here been lurking for a while but decided it was time to say hello and maybe share some of my thoughts.....

My name is Jane and I have a son with Autism who will be 4 in a few weeks, he is non verbal.

If anyone has any ideas for something really amazing i can get him for his birthdaythat would be great... Note he has all the usual Thomas tank engine everything

Thanks and Hello ;)

2shoes Thu 24-Sep-09 18:01:23

hello nice to see you posting

cyberseraphim Thu 24-Sep-09 18:08:59

Hi Jane,

I have an autistic son (5). Does he like Brio trains? Toy Cash Machines/Tills ? DS1 loves any toy with a slide that he can roll things down. Also loves posting things into boxes.

Marne Thu 24-Sep-09 18:15:04

Hi, i have 2 autistic daughters, my youngest likes wheely bug, we have the smaller one which she is getting big for so we are getting her a large one for christmas, they both like lego and sand and water tables.

Welcome to MN grin

sickofsocalledexperts Thu 24-Sep-09 18:18:00

Hello Jane, my ASD boy is 6 and the two greatest presents so far for him have been a portable DVD player from my in-laws(plus the box set of all Disney Pixar films, eg Toy Story etc); on the less expensive side, he also absolutely loves what we call squidgies - they are horrid jelly type creatures that you throw at windows and they sort of walk down them, only DS actually prefers to just carry them round. He also likes those funny squeeze balls from the £1 toy section of shops. My boy was non verbal at your son's age, but with a lot of pushing and ABA he's now talking a bit - I was very proud when yesterday he said (unprompted) "sweets all gone"! The trick was first to get him to imitate your mouth movements (with lots of praise) and then get him to ask for his fave things using an attempt at the word (eg my DS's first "word" was "puu", as in "push me" on the swing).

TotalChaos Thu 24-Sep-09 19:32:12

has he got Thomas Sodor Adventureland, DS has played with that for years. If he's not likely to try and put small objects in his mouth, maybe a marble run? or a small trampoline (sort with the handle to hold onto that don't go high off the ground)and are small enough for indoors.

janess404 Thu 24-Sep-09 20:44:05

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome and your ideas, i have 3 other children including my autistic son so we have most of the things you mention, he has the portable dvd its fantastic when eating out, he loves trains and has brio etc and all thomas tank engine including a bed, bedding and underpants!! when he will keep them on of course.....

He has a large trampoline in the garden which he loves, i would like to get him something that is not only a toy but good for him the house is full of toys i thought about maybe doing his bedroom ceiling like a starry sky with fibre optics but if he screams at it and hates it then thats the bedtime routine ( well fight) all messed up...

keep the ideas coming i thought about the duplo thomas tank engine lego stuff but i dont want him getting fraustrated as he is a little heavy handed and if it keeps breaking i will find myself building it 400 times a day and he will be annoyed,

waitingforgodot Thu 24-Sep-09 21:10:41

Hi there, I have a son aged 3 currently being assessed for autism and he loves Thomas. He also loves puppets and slinkys. Oh and bouncy balls of various shapes and sizes!

Barmymummy Thu 24-Sep-09 22:21:25

Hiya!

My DS aged 4 (ASD) loves playing skittles, playing with toy dustcarts (the playmobile one in particular) or anything that can be rolled down ir marble runs etc!

Welcome to the board! smile

sc13 Fri 25-Sep-09 10:52:27

Welcome! I like the idea of the stars; my son (also with ASD, almost 3.6) loves stickers, despite being a bit clumsy with them. Perhaps instead of just putting the stars on and then having to face the reaction, you can see if you can put the stars on together (on the walls I guess rather than the ceiling). We're getting a lot of mileage from stickers, moving on from wall stickers to sticker books, which are good for practising receptive language skills (and fun, of course).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now