Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADD

(7 Posts)
PipinJo Thu 24-Sep-09 17:26:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

daisysue2 Thu 24-Sep-09 22:22:13

Yes my daughter is ADD and it is often first diagnosed in children who are later diagnosed with ASD. I think it just helps people to understand the areas of help that a child needs.

kittymax Sat 26-Sep-09 14:48:59

Ive got a ds with ADHD and other ds has ASD. I notice similarities in some areas, but in other areas each ds has different problems, so yes it is worth looking into so you understand the problems better. My ds is soooo forgetful. He's quite disorganised in some areas and can be hard to get motivated. He's really distracted and finds it hard to stay on topic. And he never ever stops talking. His little brain is on the go-go-go all the time 24/7 bless him. He's 15 and it's hard for him to try to fit in at school. He gets angry and frustrated at the smallest things. He's such a handful, really demanding. If your ds does have ADD it's well worth reading a few books about it so you can understand the difference I think.

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 26-Sep-09 14:55:14

Pipin - I am convinced that my DS has ASD and ADHD so I'm now trying out ADHD mediation to calm him down (but they do have to be over 6). So far, some good results, some not so good. I just feel that if his brain could stop stimming on toys, bouncing, runnning etc, there would be a space in there for him to learn, which he has shown he can do when calm. I have tried so many other things (homeopathy,fish oil etc) but now I'm trying to see what the world of medicine has to offer. It will take a while to see if they work, and it could be that his autisitc hyperactivity is different than ADHD hyperactivity (and therefore won't respond to ADHD drugs) - but I figure I've got to try everything I can to get him an education. Hope all well with you? x

HelensMelons Sat 26-Sep-09 15:52:14

Yes, it is definitely worth mentioning.

My DS2 (asd) had recently received a dx of adhd and we have started him on equasym - he's taking 20 mgs. It is effective and reports from school regarding his concentration, focus, following of instructions, ability to shut out distraction, remembering, thinking before acting - have been extremely positive.

My ds2's world is a very chaotic and, I think, scary place at times - I feel that we have really benefitted from this dx - not only because the meds have helped but also I have been full-on educating myself about adhd and have just started a parenting programme to help x

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 26-Sep-09 15:54:15

Helensmelons - can I ask, how long did the equasym take to have a good effect. My boy is on concerta and so far I would say he is more hyper, not less (though his concentration when he does do some work may be better). Sorry to hijack Pipin!

HelensMelons Sat 26-Sep-09 22:51:47

The Dr told us that we would see the effects of equasym fairly quickly after taking it - in other words within 30mins to an hour of taking the tablet. The 'effects' being the side effects - weepy, out of sorts, etc. These things settle down eventually with most children, we've been told.

DS2 would be a little out of sorts (but that may not be equasym related, later nights, busier days, routine changes are a big factor too) at times. I have just up'ped the dosage from 10 - 20 mgs today has been my first day watching him. Definitely not as restless - it was DS1's b'day and he was having a couple of friends over so I wanted to keep things running smoothly for everyone in the family today.

His appetite would be smaller as well but this should settle down too, hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now