Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Down's syndrome - pls be aware

(32 Posts)
Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 13:19:08

Hi all

Today is the start of Down's syndrome awareness week.

To support the DSA you can purchase something from them, such as a DSA wristband for £1.50, a coin key ring for £1 or a DSA umbrella for £15.
Call: 0845 230 0372 to purchase something or donate money.

As it awareness week I thought I should take this opportunity to make you all aware of this fact, and a few others while I'm at it.

- Around 1 in every 1000 babies born will have Down's syndrome
- Down's syndrome is caused by an extra chromosome in the body's cells. It is a genetic accident that occurs at conception.
- Down's syndrome is a condition, not a disease. People with Down's syndrome are not ill and do not suffer from the condition.
- People with the syndrome will have a degree of learning difficulty. However most people will walk, talk, read, write, go to ordinary schools, often go onto further education and employment.
- Today people with Down's syndrome can expect to live a life of 60 years plus, compared to an average life expectancy of 9 years in 1900!

So, there you go, consider yourselves made aware!

Lots of love to each and every one of you.

NomDePlume Mon 06-Jun-05 13:21:51

, thanks for the head up, TC. x

lemonice Mon 06-Jun-05 13:24:46

Hello Thomcat

That's an amazing statistic of life expectancy up from 9years to 60 years.

I remember when I was a little girl it was a very misunderstood condition and stigmatised, things have changed enormously in a relatively short time(well not as short as I would like people to think!)

milward Mon 06-Jun-05 13:27:45

Thanks for this info thomcat.

DelGirl Mon 06-Jun-05 13:28:13

On GMTV this morning there was a girl who's sister had d/s and she has recorded a CD and all proceeds go to D/S. I think it's out soon, if not now, and I think it's called 'songs for my sister'.

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 13:30:29

Hi DelGirl, yes of course I had forgotten about that CD, it's Zoe Mace and 'Songs for my Sister'. Zoe's sister had DS but very sadly had a really, really poorly heart and passed away.
All funds from the CD go to the Down's syndrome association.

DelGirl Mon 06-Jun-05 13:33:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DelGirl Mon 06-Jun-05 13:42:14

reason, not idea!!! <<<takes big foot out of big gob and slopes off>>

Ulysees Mon 06-Jun-05 13:42:21

Just been talking to my friend today who's twin girls have downs. One is in mainstream school and the other special school. I didn't know it was awareness week? Thanks for highlighting this. We were just talking about the 'looks' you get in supermarkets etc.. and how peoples lack of understanding is unbelievable

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 14:15:09

bump

deegward Mon 06-Jun-05 14:18:45

Thanks TC will go and do something now

Dingle Mon 06-Jun-05 14:31:15

I'm not actively doing much this year, was interviewed by local papers last year.

BUT...Amelia starts her dance classes this Saturday, so there you go!! I have another whole, social group that I can "educate" about DS!

expatinscotland Mon 06-Jun-05 14:32:55

Thank you, Thomcat!

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 14:38:57

Ahhhhhhh, hope she enjoys her dance class, bless her.

tiredemma Mon 06-Jun-05 14:43:18

thanks for that thomcat- have just abused the phone system at work and donated £10.

i go to college once a week and we share our canteen with some DS students, many of them late 40's early 50's, have to say that they are all doing incredibly well, and its great to hear about thier work placements etc.

thanks for the info again.

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 15:11:42

fantastic, that's really great tiredemma, TC xx

coppertop Mon 06-Jun-05 15:40:00

I don't have a credit card. Will the DSA be arranging any street collections this week?

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 15:46:13

CT - I doubt it. I keep thinking about doing their PR for them, but it would have to be full time and not sure they could afford me! They don't seem to do enough in my opinion. They haven't even made it possible to buy the CD or wristbands etc off their website which I really think they need to sort out, and yes I have phoned them and 'ad a word in their shell like!

Anyway hon', the short answer is unlikey, they don't make it easy to donate!

TC x

Davros Mon 06-Jun-05 15:46:29

I will do something too (floor is wet so can't get to purse, what a great excuse!). I used to think why should I donate to or support charities for other conditions/disabilities when autism is our priority. But then I thought, how could I expect other people to donate to US if I don't also iyswim! Autism is our number one of course but a bit of cross polination is OK! Esp now there is more of a personal connection through MN.

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 15:51:45

Is there an autism awareness week, or equivalent Davros? I've never given to anything related to autism, so if you tell me how then I'll correct that immediatley.

Davros Mon 06-Jun-05 16:08:23

The NAS has abandoned Autism Awareness Week this year for the first time! They felt it was getting tired and ineffective. They just had a trek to China I could have put you down for, perfect in your condition They are having a Day for Autism in September when they will take over Leicester Square and have a big bash, all autism/disability friendly. I have expressed my support.... and doubts about being able to attend, even though its run by them. Who knows, come Sept maybe it will be possible, a target for me. You should come along and bring Lottie! Mind you, won't you be just about to pop?

coppertop Mon 06-Jun-05 16:15:18

Grrr at the DSA making it so difficult to donate. I was surprised at the lack of an autism awareness week too. I doubt if we'll be able to make the September thing either.

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 16:22:55

I'll come along in Sept, would be delighted to.
I'll be fat but not ready to pop and even so, that wouldn't stop me

Fio2 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:44:43

Delgirl, my Mum rang me up about the CD this morning, she was so upset about the story bless her, though it does sound incredibly sad

potty1 Mon 06-Jun-05 18:36:38

I think Deb (she posted here a while ago) is in Best magazine this week with her little one, Cameron.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now