Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Well we've finally bitten the bullet and DS1 has his dyspraxia assessment tomorrow.

(21 Posts)
sphil Mon 21-Sep-09 21:55:23

It's with the community paed, so think it might be a chat rather than an assessment and then yet another referral.

I've got copies of the parent questionnaire I filled in and our 'informal' private OT's report. Anything else I should remember - or any advice? I'm slightly anxious about it as I feel uncomfortable listing all DS1's difficulties in front of him - he is well aware of some of them and will no doubt talk (for England) about them if asked, but there are others, like his muddled speech, which I don't think he's aware of. His self esteem is pretty fragile at times and I don't want to knock it any further. But if I'm positive, we won't be taken seriously.

On a funny (and totally unrelated) note, DS1 came up with a gem this morning, having heard DH and I arguing blush.
" The thing about my ears is that they're very nosy " grin

LIZS Tue 22-Sep-09 19:02:23

Sounds like you have it covered. ime emphasise the negatives . Write down a few choice sayings and examples to illustrate issues such as sensory problems. The paed will mainly want to observe him anyway. Hopefully there will be toys etc to distract ds whiel you talk or maybe you could arrange a follow up without him there. good luck

sphil Fri 25-Sep-09 15:00:12

Update - it all went fine. DS1 behaved so dyspraxically in the consulting room it wasn't true - fidgeting in his chair, having to have instructions repeated, taking ages to take his sweatshirt off etc. He also gave the dr a very succinct explanation of why he doesn't like football: ' the ball comes in all directions and I can't remember who's on my team. That's why I go in goal, cos then the ball only comes in one direction and anyway the other team are rubbish so they hardly ever get down my end' grin. I could almost see the mental ticks inside the dr's head!

So, it's confirmed - he's dyspraxic. Where we go from here is now the question - no chance of getting NHS OT around here, so look for private, I guess, or just carry on with what we're doing at home to help him and try to get school a bit more on board. He suffers because he's not severely dyspraxic enough. On a positive note, I had a great chat with his teacher yesterday who is very switched on and keen to help him as much as possible.

WorkInProgress Fri 25-Sep-09 15:15:33

Well done to you ! Hope the diagnosis helps. Keep posting and reading on mumsnet. I find it helps alot to know you are not the only one with a son/daughter with dyspraxia.

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 09:18:08

sphil how did you get the appointment with the community paed?

debs40 Sun 27-Sep-09 10:19:18

Well done sphil - my ds takes the goalie position too - I suspect for the same reasons!!

silverfrog Sun 27-Sep-09 17:31:41

sphil, I'm sure you've thought of this already, but what about a BIBIC assessment for ds1?

they are thorough, as you know, and will look at all angles and set up home programme etc

sphil Sun 27-Sep-09 22:49:13

Cornsilk - we got a private OT to do an 'informal' assessment first, then went to the GP, who referred us on.
SF - BIBIC is an idea, as local to us and known about in school, so they would probably take notice of a programme that they set up. Problem will be persuading DH - we took Ds2 there regularly for a couple of years but ended up with a not so good experience (which I'll tell you about offline if you like) which put DH off completely.

cornsilk Sun 27-Sep-09 23:30:33

Can I be really nosy and ask how much the OT assessment was?

silverfrog Mon 28-Sep-09 19:18:29

sphil, if you don't mind sharing I would be interested to hear about BIBIC. we were thinking it was time to go back with dd1, so very interested in adverse happenings, or what to avoid etc.

sphil Mon 28-Sep-09 19:51:58

I'll CAT you SF - can't remember if I have your email?blush

Cornsilk - it was £60 for an hours assessment and another £50 for the report - but the assessment was informal and not diagnostic - think it would have been £90 for a full one. Where abouts are you?

sphil Mon 28-Sep-09 20:01:44

Just found out my CATs expired - not worth renewing as I've only used it about twice! Have you ever emailed me? Sorry - it's awful I can't remember but I have got post-Golden-Wedding-party brain - am knackered!

cornsilk Mon 28-Sep-09 20:49:41

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Tue 29-Sep-09 09:57:14

sphil, we have emailed, ooooh over a year ago now... can't remember which email I would have used blush

you can get me at silverfrog 13 @ gmail . com (obv without spaces!)

sphil Tue 29-Sep-09 13:18:08

Oh so not near me, otherwise I would have recommended the one we used in Bristol.

SF will email.

sphil Tue 29-Sep-09 13:50:09

Silverfrog - email I tried on that address wouldn't send. Will try again later.

silverfrog Tue 29-Sep-09 17:39:42

how odd. will check if working ok (should be, but you never know!)

sphil Tue 29-Sep-09 23:17:40

I can't give you my email on here as it's my RL name (boringly).

silverfrog Tue 29-Sep-09 23:52:33

hmmm, peculiar that it's not working.

I'll have a dig around my various address books and see if I can find you!

silverfrog Wed 30-Sep-09 00:07:26

weeell, I found you ok deep in the archives of my email (not the address I gave you, but another one - likewise is my RL name), but the email bounced! - have you changed your email since last summer?

Will try to CAT you - I think I renewed recently, so as long as you are set to recive we should be ok!

sphil Wed 30-Sep-09 22:38:36

Success!have got it and replied. Bet you've forgotten the original question now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now