Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT appointment at school - do parents attend?

(18 Posts)
debs40 Mon 21-Sep-09 17:04:12

I've just heard that DS has got his first SALT app at school in a couple of weeks. We've been sent a questionnaire on pragmatics to complete.

Is it usual for parents to attend? I'd like to be there.

moondog Mon 21-Sep-09 17:07:34

Say you'd like to be there nad turn up.I'm a SALT snd I'd be delighted if someone asked to be present. (Fill in the questionnaaire before hand as well obviously.)

debs40 Mon 21-Sep-09 17:15:23

Thanks moondog - I'll do that!

Phoenix4725 Mon 21-Sep-09 20:04:43

yep I am going to be there, am helping in sons class so will know whats happening then she has me for appointment for 20 mins at lunch time

anonandlikeit Mon 21-Sep-09 20:23:01

I usually go in as they are finshing the assessment - I find ds2 is better if I am not there.
But I always go in to discuss the outcome before they disapear, that way i'm not in the dark, waiting weeks for a report!

anonandlikeit Mon 21-Sep-09 20:23:40

Should add his TA stays with him, so he is not on his own.

MoonlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Sep-09 20:45:24

yay, so I can attend ds' too? And his EP visits, and his Advisory Teacher visits?

Didn't know that.

anonandlikeit Mon 21-Sep-09 20:58:30

Yep i've never been asked not to attend, on a couple of occasions i've been stuck at work so I have called the school & discussed the appnt with the prof concerned before they've left the building.
I'm way to impatient to wait for the postman to tell me how it went grin

meltedmarsbars Mon 21-Sep-09 21:43:07

It's your child's assessment - of couse you can go! Only sometimes it might be appropriate to hang about outside the room for a bit if that helps the practicioner.(sp?)

I go to all appts at school, whether physio, ot or salt, unless I have spoken to the professional beforehand and we have agreed that its not necessary for me to come.

PerryPlatypus Mon 21-Sep-09 21:54:06

I don't go to the SALT appointments at school but that's because the SALT phones me later on to tell me how it went and to discuss any issues.

moondog Mon 21-Sep-09 21:57:35

Moon,you can 'do' what you like,no rule to say parents can't be there.I am all for it, saves loads of time and hassle to get everyone together in one place at one tie, plan a ocurse of action, check everynoe understands it and then disperse.

debs40 Mon 21-Sep-09 22:06:07

Thanks. I don't know what I'd do without this board - no one tells you anything!

moondog Mon 21-Sep-09 22:07:16

I'd ring the dept. and ask for SALT's email then write to say you would like to be there.

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Sep-09 15:18:13

Well you're unique Moondog (at least you would be around here). I get the distinct impression that the 'professionals' would really rather I was not in the room and they certainly talk about their forthcoming visits in a way that implies my not being there.

moondog Tue 22-Sep-09 15:31:44

That's not to say that it's not important to see how the child behaves and communicates without the parents. Their coping stretgies without mum or dad are really important as wit the best will in the world, parents over-compensate for their kids (as is true universally).
No reason why they can't wait outside the classroom for a bit for an observation assessment without them being present though.

I wish more would.Would save me a shedload of time, getting it all done in one fell swoop.

debs40 Tue 22-Sep-09 17:01:38

Hi Moondog sounds like the SALT team here are of the same view as you. I've been told that it's really helpful for me to attend so that a case history can be taken although it might be better to come at the beginning or end of the assessment.

As long as I'm there at some point!

Thanks again

MoonlightMcKenzie Thu 01-Oct-09 13:33:31

So the Autism Advisory teacher went in today to do an observation. I asked if I could be there and was told that there was nothing happening. ALl I would be doing is observing her obvserve and it might change the way ds behaves.

I said I would like to be there for any consequential meetings with the staff. I was told there would be none.

So, - Over half way through the session I look through the window and see ds' keyworker, 1:1, Leader and the Advisory teacher in the office having a meeting. I knock on the door and ask if I can attend. I was told 'no'. I asked for a reason but was not given one.

At the end I spoke to the Leader and asked if she knew why I couldn't attend. She said that there wasn't anything discussed in her opinion that couldn't have been shared, it's just that having parents in that meeting isn't the usual way that they do it hmm. I asked her what the meeting was about and she told me it was to draw up the IEP, which they will then present to me to sign.

btw, I know it looks bad that I was hanging around outside the windows, but I am a bfing peer supporter and today I was on shift at the group in the room next door. smile

Phoenix4725 Thu 01-Oct-09 18:45:47

i hve been to all ds assements with profesionals when salt saw ds I was out of his sight but within earshot so knew what was going on we then had a meeting to discuss things.

Have made it very very clear that all meetings will be with me either in room or withn earshot and me having chance talk after as after all none knowsmy son better than me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now