Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My little one and I - ASD and North West England

(16 Posts)
elmosworld Mon 21-Sep-09 01:47:05

Hi all,

Just thought I would take a minute to introduce myself - I'm "Elmo's world" wink and I have one little boy aged (very almost) 3 who has ASD.

Just looking for new friendships really as I worked my bum off trying to make lots of new friends after DS being born - He was always well mixed, as he was an only child, I was adamant he would be a sociable little boy - though that seems to have backfired on me! blushwink And my "friendships" with other mums seem to have reduced to a total of ONE since learning about DS' autism... [hmmm] ignorance. They were all there while he was clearly different and I had my concerns, but on the day of diagnosis, it sort of seemed to evaporate. sad

Anyway, I am also in the North-West and it seems to be pretty poor round here for special needs groups etc, so would love to hear suggestions etc if you have any. I can travel a bit too! Or if you are local. Let me know.

Right, well hopefully I will get to know some of you lovely ladies!

troutpout Mon 21-Sep-09 06:22:46

Hello Elmo and welcome to the sn board smile
I am also in the northwest (cheshire). I have a big boy (12) with aspergers/hfa and a girl who is 6 and nt.Ds is in mainstream school and is doing ok.smile
We had such a late dx(he was nearly 11) that unfortunately i haven't got much info to give you in regards to support groups. Any friends i have made tend to have been made through asd courses (casadt or nas)or through chatting at groups that ds attends (social skills groups/camhs transition course).
You find out who your real friends are when you have a child with sn that is for sure.

busybeingmum Mon 21-Sep-09 06:45:47

Message withdrawn

ohmeohmy Mon 21-Sep-09 07:25:38

If you are near Preston the Space centre sensory place is lovely. They used to have a family session every weekend that was about £3.

Portage also great if you are not yet involved.

grumpyoldeeyore Mon 21-Sep-09 10:32:36

Blackpool Tiggers is a social trampolining group for ASD - branches in Bolton etc have a website

trace2 Mon 21-Sep-09 16:56:33

here is the mag

www.aukids.co.uk/

tipsycat Mon 21-Sep-09 19:25:48

Hi. I'm in the West Lancs area and have a 8 y/o boy with ASD. I attend a couple of support groups, one in Ormskirk and one in Skelmersdale. If you live anywhere near here, I'd be happy to meet up with you and introduce you to other local mums with SEN children.

elmosworld Mon 21-Sep-09 20:21:16

smile
Ah thanks for everyone's replies! I am just opening the magazine page thank you very much trace2!

It is true that you definately find out who your real friends are... and turns out that I don't have that many haha! I was prepared for it, there are so many myths around autism that people seem to be so scared. Either of the child, or what to say to me.

I just need to throw myself back into it and get back out there, with people who GET IT!

tipsycat the skelmersdale is too far out for me, but I think Ormskirk should be fine, so that would be lovely! When are the meet ups etc?

Thanks again everyone! xxx

TotalChaos Mon 21-Sep-09 20:29:50

Hello ladies! there's also an ASD parent group in Liverpool called Parent Interest Group. I only went the once as DS ended up getting Dxed just with language delay rather than ASD, so felt a bit funny about going to the ASD group. Tipsycat - is the Ormskirk group for SEN in general or just for families with kids with an ASD DX?

jjones Wed 23-Sep-09 00:44:53

Elmosworld can I ask where in northwest you are I am in crosby and go to a few groups SAAPS in litherland (sefton parent parnership) is good, it is on the second wed of the month 7-9pm also sefton carers centre do a few groups 1 in netherton childrens centre thurs 9.30-11.30 every week they have also got one in parent 2000 in southport and one in bootle somewhere. I will dig out some info.

tipsycat Wed 23-Sep-09 11:00:28

Hi Totalchaos and Elmosworld, the Ormskirk support group is run by Joan Bill from Lancashire Parent Partnership. It is aimed at parents of children with any SEN, everyone is welcome. Our meetings are monthly, normally on Wednesday mornings from 9.30 to 11.30ish. The last meeting was only last week, so the next one won't be for another few weeks (and i confess that I'm not sure of the date blush), but I've sent off an email to check,and will let you know if you're interested.

I live in Burscough, and know quite a few local parents with SEN children, although all are school age, but we've all been in your position, Elmosworld, and will be happy to help in any way. It does get better with time, amd you get to meet lots of new friends who understand you and your DS.

elmosworld Wed 23-Sep-09 15:21:58

Hi jjones and tipsycat.

I am in Mid-Cheshire...? Not sure where a couple of the places you mentioned are jjones but southport is about 1.5 hours from me, so thats not too far out.

Thanks so much tipsycat. I know we'll get there and this time round, I am sure they will be REAL friends!!!

tipsycat Wed 23-Sep-09 15:29:13

The next meeting is in Ormskirk on 7th October. If anyone wants more details, please email me at dawn.mahood@yahoo.co.uk and I'll pass on more details about the groups.

TotalChaos Wed 23-Sep-09 15:40:18

Hi Tipsycat, thanks for the info! Unfortunately I work Wednesday mornings until 1 pm, so can't make that timing. Nice to hear of people vaguely local to me for a change!

vjg13 Wed 23-Sep-09 16:59:12

Elmosworld, this is a lovely group that maybe closer for you. The children have a variety of different needs. smile

elmosworld Wed 23-Sep-09 19:20:41

vjg13 Thanks very much that is much closer to me and I can get there on train! grin (DS is MUCH better behaved on the train than in the car! Don't have to pull over every 5 minutes then when he continues to get out of his straps & I'm alone with him. hmm )

I'll email you too tipsycat and get some more info, then I can see how long it's going to take for me to get there etc and see if it is worth it. Where do you live tipsycat?

Thanks again guys. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now