Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

YOOHOOOO MOONDOG - Pls do you know owt about PROMPT?

(13 Posts)
masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Sun 20-Sep-09 12:14:19

I'm a member of a US based support group for cri du chat syndrome. Lots of folk are raving about how some speech therapy programme called prompt is really helping

My understand is that it involves exercises / activities and physical promping to help children make the appropriate mouth movements for sounds

I asked dd's SALT about it but she hasn't heard of it. Dyou have any thoughts / experience? TIA

moondog Sun 20-Sep-09 13:04:25

I don't I'm sorry but would be interested in knowing more!

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 21-Sep-09 13:42:13

You may already have seen this link (sure you have, but in case you haven't).

sounds interesting I'm off to have a nosey....

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Tue 22-Sep-09 00:12:27

thankyou.

What dyou make of it? Reading the 'for parents' bit made me think of that other curing / bollocks discussion

But some interesting stuff on there (but eh wtf are labial movements?!) - am going to mail some of the people doing it and ask them more about it. Does seem to be v popular and well known / regarded highly in US cri du chat world

hey moondog if its good we could send you off to the states and you can be the uk pioneer and cure all our kids ;)

moondog Tue 22-Sep-09 09:36:34

No magic cures for anything though Mason. Unfortunately. Wish there were! smile

Had a look-it all seems pretty professional and run by peopel who know what they are doing.

But from the quick lookI took it seems primarily suited to peopel with speech production difficulties only, and not ones who have the additional challenge of global language problems such as those asssociatad with a learning disability (eg receptive and expressive difficulties).

moondog Tue 22-Sep-09 09:46:53

Or maybe not....

'As a Philosophy, PROMPT stresses that the clinician must look across all areas of the child's development. Physical-sensory, Mental (which includes sensation, sensory perception, sensory discrimination and cognition), and Social-Emotional, which also includes pragmatics and the purpose for which the child communicates. It is here that the clinician needs to make a decision, with the parent or caregiver, about what areas likely need the most focus and how to integrate the rest of the areas to support change.'

It's a big remit, the sort that is near impossible for a commmon or garden NHS SALT with massive caseload to even contemplate unfrtunately.

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Tue 22-Sep-09 14:38:07

oh I was being a bit jokey following on from the cures thread moondog. Alas I've bum all hope of my dd being cured

Aye can see what you mean about the big remit and practicalities of it all. Guess that's why some folk in the states spending more than I earn on month on insurance can rave on about it

moondog Tue 22-Sep-09 15:28:53

Indeed (and yes, I know you were joking!) smile

A lot of money to pay the experts coupled with a lot of time can work wonders.

hatchypom Fri 02-Oct-09 09:06:58

Hi I've just seen this, my dd is deaf and her therapist uses prompt and AV therapies with her, its working wonders.

herjazz Fri 02-Oct-09 17:08:41

ooh where are you hatchypom? Not UK I'm guessing. V interested to hear more

hatchypom Mon 05-Oct-09 09:49:38

I'm UK, my dd goes to auditory verbal in Oxford but was diagnosed late, so had no speech until she was more than 2. The most interesting thing is that as a result her facial muscles are not as strong as they would be in a normal toddler so she needs help and practice.

herjazz Mon 05-Oct-09 20:18:47

interesting.. my dd has no speech. And loosing her chewing skills so her facial muscles really aren't much cop. Is partially deaf as well

What eactly are you doing with yr dd?

hatchypom Tue 06-Oct-09 08:59:42

She's 2.5 now and we go once a fortnight. AV therapy is all about getting her to listen and self correct (assuming that she is properly aided). On top of this the therapist will ask her to say something and move her mouth to get the right lip shape or movement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now