Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

statement funding

(11 Posts)
Hamble Sun 05-Jun-05 21:18:05

My ds aged 4 has downs and has a statement for 7 hours one to one support a week at his local LEA nursery. He wasn't making any progress at his LEA nursery even with the 7 hours support, so I transfered him to a private nursery using the nursery grant. The LEA refuses to fund the 7 hours support a week on the grounds that his needs were met by the LEA nursery and they will not fund support at a private nursery. Can anyone advise on if I have grounds to appeal.

Davros Sun 05-Jun-05 21:24:34

Blimey! I don't have experience of this situation myself but I know a good starting point that lots of people will suggest is to talk to IPSEA, I think they are www.ipsea.org.uk I'm also sure there will be other MNers with experience and good advicce.

Allegra Mon 06-Jun-05 17:17:22

bump

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 17:21:53

What! taht seems mad to me. Will the DSA's legal dept help ypou out for starters, and yes I 2nd IPSEA. Doesn't seem at all right to me I have to say.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Blu Mon 06-Jun-05 17:23:39

Yes, I would suggest ipsea, and I would talk to your local councillor, too!

That sounds outrageous - if private nurseries are ofsted'd and 'deserving' of the early years grant, it is monstrous to withold other support. What if she had to be in a private childcare nursery because you needed the cover they give for working?? terrible discrimination.

i am sure Thomcat's DD is at a priavte nursery and has extra hours support...

Blu Mon 06-Jun-05 17:24:01

And there she is - x posted!

Thomcat Mon 06-Jun-05 17:30:51

Yes sorry, should have said, too busy being outraged. My nursey is private, Lottie is 3.5 has Down's syndrome and attends a montessori preschool that we pay for. She gets 12 hours one to one and does 15 hours at nursery in total a week. CAT me if you want to talk more. TC x

gaelsgirl Mon 06-Jun-05 17:36:16

ds2 goes to a private nursery, which we chose over the state one, and he gets one to one funding for the 2 mornings a week he attends, about 8 hours. He has cerebral palsy not DS, but I don't see why that would make any difference. What area are you in?

Fio2 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:37:33

my old LEA wouldnt fund a private nursery place either, i had to chose a 'council' one. Luckily I had a good EP and did get a statement after moaning alot and also i DID decide on a council nursery as it was far superior, but that was just luck

Hamble Mon 06-Jun-05 21:30:03

I'm in Herts. I've checked the Herts SEN policy and apparently I'm not allowed to go to tribunal for decisions relating independent schools. I'll call ipsea as you suggest. Thanks for your support. I'll keep pushing. It does seem to be discriminating against special needs children especially as all other kids can use the nursery grant to attend any nursery.

MeerkatsUnite Tue 07-Jun-05 06:57:02

IPSEA know a lot about Herts LEA - they have written to the Secretary of State about their actions.

Do speak to IPSEA - they will be able to advise you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: