Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD through a childs eyes - poem for my son

(20 Posts)
DeepThoughts Thu 17-Sep-09 22:39:23

Here is a poem that I wrote today for my 6 year old son.
It is quite long, it started out short, but my little boy loved it and kept asking me to write more. I intended it to help other people see the daily struggles that ASD children have without writing anything formal. He asked me to read it to him about 3 times. I think that it helps him to know that I understand him.

Here is the link if anybody is interested:

www.lynnesweb.co.uk/Try_to_Understand_Me.htm

I think that it helps him to know that I understand him.

2shoes Thu 17-Sep-09 22:47:59

wow that is good and lovely

blossomhill Thu 17-Sep-09 23:25:26

WOW that is amazing I am actually in shock to be honest. I would love to read it out to her, it sums up my dd's life.Thank you X

DeepThoughts Thu 17-Sep-09 23:29:10

Thank you so much for your kind words!

I think it stopped my ds feeling so icolated with his feelings.

debs40 Thu 17-Sep-09 23:58:53

You've put it so well. And one of the positive things out of all this is that special bond you can have with your child when they know that you really understand them in a world when others don't seem to.

mysonben Fri 18-Sep-09 01:25:35

It is a lovely poem, and the words are so true.
Thank you for sharing. smile

Marne Fri 18-Sep-09 08:15:31

Thats perfect, please can i print it off so i can show it to people who don't understand Autism? I find it had to explain ASD to people when they ask as there is so much to tell.

frazzledazzle Fri 18-Sep-09 08:33:00

That brought tears to my eyes.The love you have for your son really shines through and it so accurately portrays asd.

tingler Fri 18-Sep-09 09:00:09

I withdraw my previous demands for a poetry ban on the board. This one is good!

DeepThoughts Fri 18-Sep-09 09:22:24

Thank you so much everybody.
Marne you cetainly can print it off, I hope that it does help people understand. I think it worked with my family yesterday. They were emotional too.
Thanks again everybody x

Jo5677 Fri 18-Sep-09 12:28:40

Hi DeepThoughts,just a quick message to say what a beautiful poem i thought you'd wrote.

Also i think your son is extremely lucky to have you as his Mum. Your website is brilliant too(had a mooch around on it,hope you don't mind).

Thankyou for sharing,take care, Jo x

DeepThoughts Fri 18-Sep-09 13:55:15

Thank you Jo5677 and I am glad that you liked the website. I finally sorted through it yesterday so it is pretty up to date now. Things change so much over time.
X

Jo5677 Fri 18-Sep-09 14:55:28

Thought your website was excellent,i keep a blog on wordpress that was going to be just about my children...however i always get side tracked and often use it as a place to go and rant about other stuff too. I've often thought i should filter stuff out and just set up a site just for SN realted stuff (have one child who is quadraplegic and CP and a son thats autistic...somewhere on the spectrum).
My husbands a computer programmer and often offering to help me set up a proper website,i guess i'd just need to be a lot more organised than i am atm lol.
Thought you'd done a great job on your site though and liked the review of your sons progress that you've charted :-)

Jo5677 Fri 18-Sep-09 14:58:17

Sorry the 'improvement' and the 'quirks' pages i meant wheni said progress smile

anonandlikeit Fri 18-Sep-09 19:07:30

Wow that is lovely.

RaggedRobin Fri 18-Sep-09 21:24:55

smile i think my ds would like this too.

DeepThoughts Fri 18-Sep-09 21:45:51

Jo5677, it sounds like you really have your hands full. Though isn't it true that children with special needs can make 'special moments' with just the simplest things. Just saying a single word that they don't normally can bring goose pimples to your arms.

I always say I wouldn't change my DS, just take away the health problems that seem to come with his ASD.

I'm ashamed to say that I actually struggle a little now whenever I look after NT children, they seem so demanding and spontaneous and I am just not used to it My little boy tends to play the same things, DS, Computer, Lego and anything Mario based. Other children say they are bored after playing with something for 5 minutes and they seem to sneak around pressing buttons on anything they can find (Tv, stereo, phone). I guess I'm just not used to that any more.

When you said your husband is a computer programmer this really echoed something that somebody said to me a few years ago.

A lady I met at school who has a child on the spectrum and also knew about my DS said that her husband is a 'Computer Programmer', she then went on to say that a apparently a massive percent of ASD children have a parent that is a 'Computer Programmer'.
I went a little red when I told her what I do for a living - Yes I'm also a 'computer programmer'. You totally reminded me of that day. I don't know how true it is though.

I don't know much about CP, although I have read snippets of info on here.
I would definitely recommend a website.
I learned so much info and tips from other similar websites on the internet. The kinda stuff that you never hear from anybody in the medical profession. When I read back through my stuff and it's amazing how many little things you forget. Its almost like a diary.
It also helps my family to keep updated as well.

Do your children get on well together?

DeepThoughts Fri 18-Sep-09 21:48:39

If anybody want's to print off the poem to read to their children, family friends, school etc.... then please feel free.

I would be very happy if it could help!

moondog Fri 18-Sep-09 22:04:52

That's really lovely DT.It's like a communication passport in poem form.

May I please print it and take it to work to show colleagues (I am a SALT working in field of SN)?

DeepThoughts Fri 18-Sep-09 22:36:38

You sure can moondog, and thank you so much x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now