Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Feckin hell! Why does EVERYTHING have to be an uphill struggle???

(8 Posts)
usedtobeadinosaur Thu 17-Sep-09 17:21:14

DS was suppossed to start informal version of ABA today with a trained but not qualified therapist. She was only going to do a few horus a week. Today she turned up to say she can't do it. I was very polite but VERY pissed off really, that she didn't think to call me as soon as she knew, but instead waited 2 friggin weeks when I could have vbeen lookign for someone else. I am aslo pissed off that I have spent all day preparing my son, explaing she'll be helping him, for her to come in and say 'actualyl I won't.'

She was recommended to me. So how do I go about finding a proper therapist, and how much is it likely to cost (bearing in mind we are strruggling to fund the few hours she would have been doing. So a proper £20k a year course is out of teh question...)


usedtobeadinosaur Thu 17-Sep-09 17:22:34

BTW today was supposed to be his first session.

MoonlightMcKenzie Thu 17-Sep-09 19:52:52

Can you get a consultant and do some yourself? If it is 'informal', you could read about it yourself!?

usedtobeadinosaur Fri 18-Sep-09 00:42:53

That's an idea. moonlight. One of the reasons we wanted to get a profess. person in was that we have littl ein the way of support. He is not 'bad' enough to get SALT even though his speech is very hard to understand. He also needs help with aggresive behaviour which is why we thought a therapist would work best...

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 18-Sep-09 09:13:44

I don't mean do it all yourself forever, - just get going first yourself iyswim. It won't be 'pure', but make sure you record progress. I think lots of parents do it this way.

usedtobeadinosaur Fri 18-Sep-09 09:44:24

It's a good idea and I thnk in the interim it's for the best, as I now want to spend time getting the 'right' therapist who isn't going to be all flaky and unreliable. I'm going off this morning to see what I can find out!

meltedmarsbars Fri 18-Sep-09 12:03:54

Round here there are some groups run by trained volunteers (mums with sn kids) and led by salts to provide salt for kids not "bad" enough to get 1;1 therapist. Maybe there is something similar around you? the SALT service should be able to tell you.

usedtobeadinosaur Fri 18-Sep-09 16:11:35

That sounds interesting. Deos it have a name? Can I look it up on line?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: