Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

For those with children on Gluten Free diets...........

(16 Posts)
waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 10:57:18

how many of you get Gluten free foodstuffs on prescription from your GP?
Just curious really..I have asked my GP and awaiting a response

BethNoire Thu 17-Sep-09 11:01:21

Nope

Some do though, it depends on the GP- ours thinks I am a loon.

waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 11:05:58

I hear it is a bit of a postcode lottery.
Why does yours think you're a loon haha?

sphil Thu 17-Sep-09 11:31:20

I've never asked - most of the medical professionals I come into contact with think I'm a loon too. And some of the staff at school think I'm 'depriving' DS2.

misscutandstick Thu 17-Sep-09 11:41:45

when i asked I got a very stern NO, even tho the dietician was EXTREMELY WILLING to step in and vouch for the need for GF (hes also 'a-lot-of-other-things' free too). But because the blood tests came back negative hmm (of course they would, i had had DS5 practically GF for a month before the tests, and when I mentioned that to the paed, he waved it off with an airy "oh that doesnt matter". grrr angry of course it does!) they are not willing to prescribe, and Im certainly NOT willing to put DS5 thru 6wks of pain to prove to the numptys just for free food (even if it is a god awful price!)

Sorry, turned into a rant there blush

waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 11:48:26

No wonder misscutandstick.
Its well known that the test would come back neg if he has been on the diet for any length of time. How frustrating.

Your paed sounds like a joy!

BethNoire Thu 17-Sep-09 12:27:56

Our Paed said 'Well it own'r help but as long as you actually feed him'

PMSL

He ahs an eating disorder, I spend half my life trying to bloody feed him!

waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 12:31:41

"as long as you actually feed him"

Eh???
Just in case you forgot to feed your child?!!

BethNoire Thu 17-Sep-09 12:40:32

Yep, coz 9 year old as kids are easily forgottena ren't they? PMSL

I think it was becuase he has other intolerances and tbh it does make things awkward, he's GF-lite atm becuase if we go too heavy it exaccerbates the eating (he's 10 in December and not yet 4 stone, has a thing about being superfit and not getting fat sad) problems- but he ahs to be CF at all times as he has had an intolerance to that since birth, as have I and two otehr of my boys (dh and ds2 do not).

waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 12:45:53

Its a bit patronising really. At least you can laugh about it

nightcat Thu 17-Sep-09 13:40:30

We don't get prescriptions, my ds is gluten-sensitive and most drs only precribe on confirmed celiac diagnosis. I also wouldn't put my ds back on gluten for the sake of paperwork and risk his health (his problems were mainly neurological).
Having read up on it all quite in depth, I came to the conclusion that the less carbs he has the better for his health, that's why we are mainly relying on fresh foods and those that are naturally gf. I don't bake, so buy occasional gf treat. We don't even buy bread anymore, we use rice cakes and only mainly for when we are out or travelling.
I try to be gf as well at home, so would only eat non-gf food when out.

waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 14:45:13

what types of food do you eat nightcat? Typical meals etc?

meltedmarsbars Thu 17-Sep-09 15:15:56

We're not gluten-free, but I know of a family that does get prescriptions for their gluten-free stuff.

We get pro-biotics on prescription, though. A box of sachets of something called VSL*3, with 450 billion bacteria per sachet.

Who counted? grin

nightcat Thu 17-Sep-09 15:23:57

Breakfast usually omelette with varied fillings or scrambled eggs with mushrooms/onions/tomatoes/olives/ham etc or home made pancakes (I use 50/50 ground seeds/nuts and buckwheat flour). We don't have any bread/rice cakes with breakfast at all and (4 years on) don't miss them. I have taught him to go for the "fillings" rather than (carb)"fillers" iykwim.
I make soups 2-3 times a week, sometimes use millet in them to make them more substantial and often meaty bits. I always have a salad on the go, favourite being veg salad (like Russian salad, but I use cooked parsnips instead of potatoes as don't like cold potatoes). I use olives, Italian mushrooms, peas, cucumbers in brine, apple, cooked carrots, sweetcorn, garlic, onions, herbs etc.. in the salads.
When making rice based dish, I often put buckwheat in with the rice, it then has a darker look and as buckwheat is a whole grain (ie not polished), I hope he gets more trace minerals that way. He can have potatoes OK, but I generally try and think of carbs as a smaller portion, so often do 2 veg take up more space on the plate than potatoes.
I occasionally use gf pasta, mainly veg-based tri-color or rice & millet, and potatoes. If I do something like spag sauce or curry etc, it will be piled up with veg of all sorts, inc broccoli, cauli etc, almost like a veg sauce with some meat, so pasta is not a main ingredient on the plate.
Often make jelly with fruit, stewed fruit or sometimes get ice-cream or shop-bought choc-based gf desert.

pushkar Thu 17-Sep-09 18:13:02

no our gp pretended she could not remember the name
most stuff comes under the brand juvela

hope you get it we dont use our gp for anything now [ I voted she was useless in the last form i was asked about her services ..]

good luck hope you get it
you may want to use enzymes as well
houston enzymes are available from

mandimart.co.uk they even do occasional sample packs!

waitingforgodot Thu 17-Sep-09 18:48:03

thanks nightcat-sounds lovely.
pushkar-thanks for the link. Will check it out. Know nothing about enzymes-can you tell me all about them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now