Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

one step forward, 10 steps back in reception :0(

(3 Posts)
brandy77 Thu 17-Sep-09 10:51:02

Good Morning,

My son is on his 2nd week of half days at reception, the 1st week i was staying there a lot, this week i had managed to leave at 9am for tuesday and wednesday.

Yesterday afternoon when visiting my mum who we see loads cause we are in the same village, and my nephew who is in my sons class was there, my sons behaviour was "odd" as i now call it. Dont know what bought it on, no stress as far as im aware. The aggressive attituide kicked in, not communicating, the funny walk reappeared, not wanting to look at anyone or wanting anyone to look at him and just generally volatile with his behaviour.

This morning i nearly didnt manage to get him to school at all, the teachers are very supportive. My son refused to communicate with anyone, didnt even seem to notice there was anyone else in the room. Making funny noises, constantly fidgeting, if the the teacher looked at him he covered his eyes and screamed 'dont look at me', if he was asked to do something he screamed NO!

Its such a turnaround from the beginning of the week sad The teacher has dealt with an ASD child already (apparently my son is) so isnt phased by the behaviour. In the end she took him off me forcefully, which is fine, he was screaming and clinging but what can i do really.

Just wondering if this is normal to be sort of normal and then all of a sudden switch to this uncommunicative, screaming child.

His referal to a pyschologist has been sorted out by his paed in London for an assessment, bit of a wait though i think

brandy77 Thu 17-Sep-09 10:53:07

When i say it was fine to take him forcefully i wouldnt have got out of there otherwise and i was pleased that he did allow the teacher to pick him up and try and console him, i thought he would punch her so a little bit of positive in my eyes

dazedandconfused Sat 19-Sep-09 09:07:16

His reaction sounds quite similar to my DS (he has Aspergers) going into school in the morning. We have now arranged for him to go in at 9.05, so he can avoid all the noise and chaos in the playground. He refuses to line up and always ran to the other side of the playground. He is much calmer going in this way - before, they sometimes had to lift him up by arms and legs and take him in kicking and screaming, which was horrible.

I would look at what his behaviour might be telling you - there are lots of things they can do to help him in the classroom - give him his own desk that's 'boxed in' (at least on two sides) so he can get time away from the others, with no visual stimulation on it, allow him to leave the classroom five minutes before the breaktime scrum, allow him extra time to do things. I'm just learning myself, but the National Autistic Society has loads of info on their website on symptoms and strategies.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now