Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OK im a big girl and Im ready for the truth

(9 Posts)
misscutandstick Thu 17-Sep-09 06:11:11

Is lack of oxygen causing brain injury before birth commonly known as cerebral palsy?

I understand that as with most things there is a sliding scale of severity (extremely mild to extremely severe and everything between), but essentially is that what its called?

debs40 Thu 17-Sep-09 08:41:18

Just dashing out but CP is a condition where the brain has been damaged - most commonly before, during or after birth. It can develop in other circs, e.g. my brother has CP after septicaemia as a baby.

As you say, there is a massive sliding scale of severity and there are different types of CP which affect the body in different ways.

magso Thu 17-Sep-09 08:42:31

Bumping for you!
(I don't know either)

lou031205 Thu 17-Sep-09 09:33:27

I think in a word, "No".

"Cerebral palsy (CP) is an umbrella term encompassing a group of non-progressive,[1] motor,[2] non-contagious conditions that cause physical disability in human development.[3]" from wikipedia.

In other words, lots of things can fall under 'cerebral palsy', but they all relate to physical disability.

Having said that, people with CP can have cognitive issues also. But it is not a given.

mysonben Thu 17-Sep-09 10:53:57

HI,
I know two children with CP, and both of them were in difficulties during their birth.
One with cord wrapped tightly around neck, ended up in emergency c/section. Has moderate CP (legs affected and MLD)
The other with a 2 days labour, and no heartbeat for several mins, so emergency c/section too. (baby is now 1 year old , still not crawling or just starting to sit unaided).

I think lack of oxygen can cause CP , but there are also lots of other reasons like prematurity, head trauma during birth, infections,...

2shoes Thu 17-Sep-09 11:02:21

dd's was caused at birth, but I know young people who had melengitis and got brain damage

LollipopViolet Thu 17-Sep-09 12:14:39

CP gets it's name from the cerebral cortex doesn't it? So if that bit of the brain isn't damaged, it's not CP?

Sorry, don't really know myself!

morethan1 Thu 17-Sep-09 13:01:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

debs40 Thu 17-Sep-09 13:06:11

"Cerebral palsy is a medical condition caused by a permanent brain injury that occurs before, during, or shortly after birth. The primary characteristic of cerebral palsy is a lack of muscle control and movement."

www.cerebralpalsyinfo.org/ looks like a good site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now