Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD dx with ASD today......

(8 Posts)
MumOfThreeMonkeys Wed 16-Sep-09 18:04:02

it was the dx that i was expecting so why did i start crying in front of the pead blush

i am feeling so relieved to actually know what all the problems with her are, but what happens next?

waitingforgodot Wed 16-Sep-09 18:12:48

Have a big cuddle Mumofthreemonkeys.
Take time to get your head round it all and keep posting on here as its a great support network for people who have been through this already or about to go through it soon. What happened today? What did they do and what did the paed say? How old is your DD?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 16-Sep-09 18:16:01

<<hugs>> Expecting the same thing next week, it is hard to hear it I think, whenever I think I have come to terms with it I surprise myself by crying!!

MumOfThreeMonkeys Wed 16-Sep-09 18:29:26

thanx for the sympathy smile myy dd is 5.3 and i always knew she wasn't "normal" it just took 5 years for other people to start listening to me. today she was taken into a room with an ed physc while me, dh, pead and salt watched through a window. she was asked to do some jigsaws play with play doh (which she ate) and play with some other toys, this lasted bout an hour, we were told to go and get a coffee while they discussed the results. we went back half an hour later and were told that she has autism, he never said mild moderate or severe just that she is on the spectrum and has autism. it was a diffenite enough dx for me. she also has moderate/severe LD which i already knew.

Somewhereovertherainbow Wed 16-Sep-09 19:11:07

Hi Mumofthreemonkeys, my DD was diagnosed with ASD yesterday. I can't say much for the Paed "bedside manner"! Was told, DD is autistic, here is a leaflet about autism, here is the details of where you can apply for DLA and here is a list of support groups!

Told that as ASD was not an illness, we would be discharged from the Paed.

DD also has learning difficulties, moderate I would say, but no one has ever done an accurate assessment...angry

hugs to you, it is still a shock, I feel rather numb...

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 16-Sep-09 19:11:57

My boy eats the play doh too! It is a shock, even when an expected shock. The good news is that you can bring her on a great deal with early interventions. I tried quite a few, but found ABA the best. Where is she at school? I know that it is good advice probably to let yourself be sad for a while, but myself I just wanted to DO SOMETHING asap to help him once I knew for sure it was autism. My boy, despite a pretty bleak diagnosis, is now talking (not a lot, but some), reading, writing, using a computer and coping in mainstream school, with a 1-to-1. It's just my way of getting through, and it wouldn't suit everyone, but my mantra was "oh no you fucker autism, you're not having him".

MumOfThreeMonkeys Wed 16-Sep-09 19:48:53

<<hugs>> to u somewhereovertherainbow to, my pead didnt even give me a leaflet but said someone would be in touch next week.

sickofsocalledexperts she is not at school yet! because of a major f@*k up with her statement angryangryangry we are hoping to find out this week whats happening. dx team this morning recommended that she should go to an autism unit attached to a mainstream school, we where hoping for are nearest special school so thats another spanner in the works. her proposed statement states that she needs to be in small classes of around 8 kids preferably a special school. btw i live in northern ireland so the laws may be slightly different.

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 16-Sep-09 20:13:52

They have a lot of ABA in Ireland I believe, so maybe look on google. I think a unit attached to mainstream can often be a very good compromise - not all special schools are that good but it may be different in your area. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now