Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Marmite and ASD/biomed

(8 Posts)
sphil Wed 16-Sep-09 11:09:43

Those of you with children with ASD on specific dietary or biomed regimes - do you/would you avoid Marmite? I ask because DS2 has been sticking his fingers onto my toast and licking them (lovely!) - it's so unusual for him to try something new that I wondered if I could give it to him occasionally? Do you think it's a no-no because of the yeast? I need your marmitey views pleasegrin

BethNoire Wed 16-Sep-09 11:19:43

We give it, it'sfull of B vits and nobody ever suggested to avoid it.

We were told to avoid the things on the lists, and then anything they became overly fixated on- as that can be a sign of intolerance- realted cravings.

Amrmte is esp.good I would think as you can get all manner o things in that taste, and use in stocks etc to expand

We ahven't followed a yeat free diet though, Just salicylate and GF / CF

silverfrog Wed 16-Sep-09 11:27:50

I avoid (mostly because I hate it grin)

Seriously, I avoid in the same way i avoid stocks etc. I did give dd1 some marmite rice cakes once, and she reacted, so i steered clear after that.

Yeast could be an issue, as could the extracts (msg), and also the added vitamins, as could be contamination issues.

On the other hand, it is a great source of B vitamins, and you use such a tiny bit that it could well be worth a go?

cyberseraphim Wed 16-Sep-09 11:31:17

Not on any diet ( so probably irrelevant to your question) but I well remember the days of coating everything in Marmite.. Happy Days ! I love it too I must admit

sphil Thu 17-Sep-09 11:38:31

Well, could be a coincidence but...
gave him some bread and Marmite when he came home from school yesterday. This morning we couldn't get him up - then we had to rush for school - he was v groggy and wouldn't eat breakfast. But was this because of the rushing or the Marmite??? hmm

This is the problem with assessing reactions to foodstuffs - there's always so many other factors to take into account.

pagwatch Thu 17-Sep-09 13:23:56

sphil
I know that Marilyn Le Breton (who wrote Diet Intervention and autism and helps run AiA) always suggests that parents remove it because it has a negative effect almost universally.

sphil Fri 18-Sep-09 12:07:45

Oh - I rate her, so will probably avoid it. Thanks Pagwatch

DeepThoughts Fri 18-Sep-09 12:23:39

My nephew who is also somewhere on the spectrum will only actually eat marmite and dairylea (together) in his sandwiches. I think it is a craving because of the yeast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now