Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Nursery

(2 Posts)
colabottlefizzy Tue 15-Sep-09 22:48:31

I also posted this in AIBU as I didn't realise this was here sorry if you read it there!

My ds is three and has ASD. He has been going to creche for a year and is now starting playschool he has a funded place for five mornings a week.
The induction process was staggered so that the children would get used to being there for the first week there were 6 children in for two mornings and the following week there were 12 children in for 3 mornings. The children then go full time next week. DS playleader spoke to me today and said due to ds ASD it would be best for him to do 2 mornings next week and three the following as there will be 18 children and they are concerned about the noise level and him not moving from activity to activity. They said he is doing good at the moment with no problems but this is because it is the same number as was in his creche. He will then go full time in two weeks time when there are 24 dc.
Said this was fine but wasn't until dh said if it's only ds that is not going f/t because of his ASD then how come the numbers go up from 18 to 24 in two weeks time and how come they think he will be fine to cope with 24 but not 18?
I have been told by another mum that the reason for the induction is also to get the teachers used to a large number of dc but the teacher implied to me that ds was the only one not going f/t?
Am I right to be annoyed about this as I don't want his ASD used as an excuse for him not going if thats not the reason. Surely it would be better for him to go more when there are more adults per dc? How can they think he wont cope with 18 but will at 24?
There is no sign atm that he wont cope and loves going there. (he asks for it every day!)

mysonben Tue 15-Sep-09 23:00:03

hmm i would let him go there as i see fit, and as long as he copes and is happy and asks to go every day then it's a good sign.
I agree it doesn't make any sense with him coping with 24 but not 18.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now