Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

"Telling people" about ASD dx

(9 Posts)
smallwhitecat Tue 15-Sep-09 17:54:43

Message withdrawn

cyberseraphim Tue 15-Sep-09 18:09:11

I don't tell aquaintances as I just can't be bothered with the whole autism story again but if you want to be honest I think that's fine too.

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Sep-09 18:09:40

I tell those kind of people that he has language and communication difficulties (true) and that he has extra help with them on Saturdays.

Autism unfortunately has people wondering whether your ds will bash their kids. As the day progresses you can say he has language difficulties because he has autism, if it feels right.

cyberseraphim Tue 15-Sep-09 18:11:56

I do avoid the word autism sometimes I must admit as it has too much baggage - both positive and negative.

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Sep-09 18:16:27

yeah, if I go for a social day out I don't want people going on at me about Bill Gates or Einstien, or even rainman for that matter!

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 15-Sep-09 19:10:14

I say it then the ones who get funny (and yes there are always plenty) are off the xmas card list. Mind you I have to because ds1 is usually sniffing them and at 10 you can't really hide that grin.

Does he have kids? In general (very general) I have found childless men to be absolutely wonderful with ds1. Probably because they a) have no idea of what's normal and what isn't and b) aren't irritatingly smug.

anonandlikeit Tue 15-Sep-09 19:30:48

If they are people we have contact with as a family then i would tell them.
The vast majority ahve been great & really its not altered their perception of us or ds2 at all. There have been one or two that have not been so good & we no longer see them.

Strangers I don't bother with at all, but friends I do tell & I am very open with.

My friends who don't have children have been the best, most supportive & just allow ds2 to be himself. I suppose they have no preconcieved ideas of whta the average child does or doesn't do..... and of course you don't get nay of the well meaning "My johnny did that, he'll grow out of it"
Which always makes me want to throttle them.

smallwhitecat Tue 15-Sep-09 19:52:50

Message withdrawn

TotalChaos Tue 15-Sep-09 20:26:06

completely agree with anon, childless friends can be surprisingly good, my uni and bookgroup friends have been sterling, treating me like a sensible woman rather than a neurotic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now