Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just an idea here..."A VIRTUAL FRIEND for my Asperger's son who is obsessed with YU-GI-OH trading cards"

(20 Posts)
TheRealMrsF Sat 04-Jun-05 10:55:14

Leigh is currently fixsted on Yu-Gi-Oh trading cards and is distraught that "no-one wants to play with me"

Truth is people do try and play ...but they don't have the depth of knowledge that he has (he has 200+ cards and has memorised EVERTHING written on them )

Excuse me now rambling on...this next bit will only make sense to people who know about trading cards!!!

My 'idea'....though a bit of a 'fantasy' for my son is that one of you may have a child like leigh who loves trading cards.

Basically the way the game works (as i see it!!!) is that each player takes turns 'summoning' cards to hopefully destroy the other persons.... now though there are bound to be flaws in this idea...i wondered if iot were possible that either one of your children would like to just 'chat' to leigh by email...but even better would be if they would enjoy 'summoning' cards etc by email...so that instead of actually talking to a player sat in the room...they could just email their 'turn' to each other????

Can u pass this idea to any of your kids/or even a teenager/adult who is suitably obsessed !!!!

taramac Sat 04-Jun-05 11:12:06

My ds1 would be interested in doing this - loves Yu Gi Oh too and probably has as many as Leigh - email would work well as I can check it while he is at school and he can reply in afternoon when he gets back - does that sound feasible?

CAT me if you would like to do this.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 11:15:25

DS1 is too young for this at the moment, he doesn't quite grasp the finer points but he does talk the talk IYSWIM having watched the Yu Gi Oh cartoon on cable.

I can see email working well - like postal chess but would it be a little slow? Could they play via MSN Messenger for example?

taramac Sat 04-Jun-05 11:19:42

DS1 could play via msn too but possibly not every day - let me know what you think.

Copper Sat 04-Jun-05 11:20:03

Mrs F
how old is Leigh?

TheRealMrsF Sat 04-Jun-05 11:38:34

thanks- leigh is 8

'normal' email better...as i don't want him hogging the PC .......like the idea of me reading email before he gets home- that seems the sensible way!!!

After writing this i found on ebay a 'ONLINE' game which if it does hat it says...means he can buy packs of 'access codes' like you'd buy trading cards...and then he'd go online and battle 'real' people all over the world...and be able to 'trade' the virtual cards he gets with the access codes???hope i have grasped that !!!!

TheRealMrsF Sat 04-Jun-05 11:40:08

aslo soupdraggon...just occaision chat would be fantastic too....like you say it's just having someone who 'talks the talk' that makes the world of difference.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 11:45:43

Ah, but Mrs F, he'll be hogging the PC more if you get him the online version

Just thought MSN might be nice for occasional "real time" matches.

DS1 & 2 make me laugh. DS2 (4) in particular has no idea what he's doing - he can't read the cards for a start - but says things like "I summon dark magician girl!" and "... attacks your life points directly!".

noddyholder Sat 04-Jun-05 11:58:33

my ds is 11 and loves yu gi oh and would probably love to play online he is ay a friends atm but will check back later

huggybear Sat 04-Jun-05 12:10:35

Hiya,

i know essbee's little lad plays this game - he tried to teach me but i was hopeless! - he has memorised all his cards and everything. he's 7 yrs old. maybe you could send her a CAT or something?

TheRealMrsF Sat 04-Jun-05 13:38:28

soup....that is a good point!!!! (just cos i hate MSN messanger....he may LOVE it!!!!)

(p.s Leigh says he NEEEEEEEDS Dark Magician Girl!!!!)

How you described what your ds2 says is JUST what i'd love leigh to have chats like!!!!

Thanks about the 'tip off' about esbees son...and Huggy hope your son is interested!!!

meea Mon 06-Jun-05 11:07:34

My eldest is obsessed with both Yo-Gi-Oh and pokemon cards he can talk about them for hours.Drives me mad would be great for him to be able to talk to someone who loves it as much .He's 11.

bubblerock Mon 06-Jun-05 13:29:32

My DS1 loves them, he's 7 this month and spent the whole weekend with Essbees DS playing when they visited! It's amazing how they know all the info on the cards isn't it? My DS loves Top Trumps too.

I don't understand them at all and I'm sure my DS would love to email or MSN (we've also got AOL instant messenger which I tend to use instead of MSN as it's easier - just go to www.AIM.com you don't have to have AOL)

CAT me and I'll get DS to do an email introducing himself, maybe they'll have some swaps!

TheRealMrsF Mon 06-Jun-05 13:47:49

this is FANTASTIC!!!

I will go back through this thread tomorrow (my boys are still on holiday today!!!)...and CAT those of you who have said YES!!!!

Ulysees Mon 06-Jun-05 13:50:20

My ds1 (7) would love to chat about yu gi oh too he has tons of them

CAT me if he's interested.

bubblerock Mon 06-Jun-05 15:26:02

There seems to be quite a few Yu Gi Oh collectors - I find that as DS is still fairly new here and can't take his cards to school he doesn't get much opportunity to interact with other children with them. Is there any way we could get them in a chatroom together with us typing for them?

Maybe I should arrange a Yu Gi Oh convention here!

MrsF - my DS is off today too, we didn't realise until DH took him to school this morning and it was shut!!

TheRealMrsF Mon 06-Jun-05 20:41:07

Bubblerock...bet he was pleased!!!

If you organise something Yu-Gi-Oh..... we'll be in it!!!

yes...i'd type for my son....i'm a bit faster!!! Then maybe i'd learn to "talk the talk"

All that " i attack with my Winged Dragon of whaja-me-call-it!!!!"

Chocol8 Mon 06-Jun-05 23:18:49

Ahh, this is a lovely idea!

Just a quick hijack to see if anyone elses children are in to Pokemon cards and could do the same thing online.

My ds has just transferred his undying devotion from Thomas to Pokemon after 7 years - which is a REAL surprise! He adores playing it on his new Game Boy and talking about it all the time. Just a thought...

bubblerock Mon 06-Jun-05 23:35:40

I'll try to sort something out and we'll arrange to get them all together online. Luckily Josh hasn't got into Pokemon, he does have those plastic pokemon things though - We're so knowledgable aren't we? Not {grin}

TheRealMrsF Tue 07-Jun-05 08:59:56

Yes chocs...leigh loves that too!!!

Leigh moved on from Tom the Tank at age 6 and has 'wandered' between BIONICLE LEGO/BEYBLADES/DIGIMON/TRANSFORMERS/YuGiOh....etc!!!!

Sometimes his intense interest coincides with his peers...but he NEVER likes something just because everyone else does!!!

Also...his obsession with each thing means that I am DRIVEN to seek out what he needs to 'complete' his collection!!!!

Over the years i have collected hundreds of his 'drawings' or 'lists of scores/HP 'etc....and all that changes is the 'thing' he's into...the way he obsesses is the same!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now