Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carly-severley autistic finds her voice after 11 years!

(12 Posts)
monstermansmum Tue 15-Sep-09 01:18:55

here

I thought some of you may appreciate watching this-maybe unrealistic for many of us but it gives hope to some.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 15-Sep-09 09:01:58

cant make it run. Why? What did they do?

MumOfThreeMonkeys Tue 15-Sep-09 09:12:28

i think she's an inspiration

troutpout Tue 15-Sep-09 09:13:18

thankyou for posting...v interesting

lingle Tue 15-Sep-09 09:45:45

bump

BethNoire Tue 15-Sep-09 09:47:54

Incredible, really moving- well done Carly and family.

Rven she communicates using a PC after 11 years non verbal through severe austism.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 15-Sep-09 11:08:00

ah right. I have read the blog of a lady who does the same. She is classed as 'low function/severely reatrded' and spentds the day hand flapping but give her a keyboard and she writes a blog as she says she cant blow her own nose or speak but written words have a coherance that the rest of the world doesn't.
Amazing how the brain functions isn't it.

sphil Tue 15-Sep-09 14:15:35

That's amazing! Thanks so much for posting it - it's made my day.

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 15-Sep-09 14:43:38

If you're interested in typing then Lucy Blackman's book Lucy's Story is well worth reading. There's also the informative pointing method and of course Halo- Carly's Mum sometimes posts on the Strange Son website (or has previously iirc- probably about a year or so ago). Be aware though that post is the only one on my blog that has ever triggered a punch up! (autism politics hmm)

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 15-Sep-09 14:46:13

Lucy Blackman started typing at 13 btw. She's now in her mid/late 30's (still pretty much non-verbal).

mysonben Tue 15-Sep-09 16:06:16

An amazing girl.

BethNoire Tue 15-Sep-09 16:11:57

Gopodness MrsT is that what I have to look forward tomwhen I start the MA next week (already been told the SSD candidates on teh course know more about asd than the aprents do hmm)? If its full of bust ups it'll be like paying £50 a week to use MN LOL

I do wonder if eventually we would need to use something like this to get to ds3's inner thoughts- he's great now on 'I want my ds' orthat sort of thing, massive breakthrough last night when DH said he didn't like the DS game ds3 was playing and he said 'what games do you like'- but it still has to be in the context of the obsession iyswim. There's no 'free'spech- no 'how does this work' or 'I feel a bit down today'. I now compared to many we'relucky he has the langusgae he has, but I often feel he's like Carely insofar as he is absorbing everythinga round him but not showing it. I'm certain he has an average or above IQ but have as yet to find any way to prove it; it's assumed he dosn't have significant LD but nobody treats him as capable IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now