Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If you have a mobility car/van - please read!

(11 Posts)
Flamesparrow Mon 14-Sep-09 18:25:01

I don't know how it all works with them, but can you put whatever disabled type stickers that you choose on them?

I parked my car this morning, went to do my things, came back and only then noticed the sticker on the rear windscreen.

It was a small rectangle (like ones for garages/radio stations) in orange and blue which I took at a glance to be an RNLI one. It was only when I returned to the car that I realised it was a mobility one saying about needing room for wheelchair access

I was parked too close for a wheelchair to have gotten in, and there is no way that I would have done that intentionally. I have spent the day hoping that they didn't come back in the time I was gone and have to give up or anything....

So, really just a plea - put a BIG sticker on, or a big arrow pointing to the little sticker. I hate the idea that other people are going to park too close too by not noticing.

2shoes Mon 14-Sep-09 19:06:45

I have one on the rear window, it is big enough to see, but no one does. so I always expect to be blocked, so only park wher I can then move to get her in(means stoppingg a random passer by to watch her while I do it)

Flamesparrow Mon 14-Sep-09 19:09:00

I felt like a big arrow or something would have made me look to see what it was pointing at.

Still feel sooooooooo guilty blush

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 14-Sep-09 19:28:45

I do have a whopping big sticker. But people still park so I cant lower the ramp and get the wheelchair in and out. I doubt neon signs and pointing arrows would work either!

Flamesparrow Mon 14-Sep-09 19:32:41

Grr at just thoughtless people!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 14-Sep-09 19:46:15

when I get the van I'll just lower the power ramp on their bonnets grin

2shoes Mon 14-Sep-09 19:50:41

oh I have been tempted, dh snarls at them
I did think you had to be able to read to drive, but I must be wrong(not directed at the op)

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 20:16:52

Makes no difference what you put, people don't read it, so like 2shoes I abandon dd2 on pavement while I manoevre car into position where I can lower ramp.

Other bugbear is the posts supermarkets put at the end of the disabled bay so you can't reverse in and get your disabled passenger out onto the walkway/shelter: you always have to do it into the roadway. I have other drivers swerving around us as I unload dd2 into the parking traffic!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 14-Sep-09 20:20:26

what we need is rear mounted machine guns grin

Flamesparrow Mon 14-Sep-09 20:31:15

The supermarket thing never occurred to me!!! Why do they not have special people advising on this stuff????

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 20:33:06

The posts are there so we disabled drivers don't ram-raid the supermarket!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now