Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Will ds lose his statement if I home ed?

(7 Posts)
macwoozy Mon 14-Sep-09 16:11:37

I am considering home educating ds and wondered that if I did withdraw ds from school whether he would also lose his statement permanently? (should he/I feel he's ready to go back when he's older)

Does anyone know? Thanks

MrsWeasley Mon 14-Sep-09 16:42:50

I dont know but I assume that if he went back to school the statement would need to be applied for again.

I thought Statements were reviewed yearly providing the child remains in school.

Sorry hope someone who knows comes along shortly.

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 14-Sep-09 16:51:07

There is a very informative gang on the Home Ed site on here who will let you know. Try posting there too? I do know that my DSD (autistic) has now been taken out of the state system and sent to private school, but they have kept her statement in place for if she ever returns to the state sector.

streakybacon Mon 14-Sep-09 18:02:25

The statement stays in place and as Mrs W says it's reviewed every year as it would be if he was in school.

If he's in a special school the process of deregistration is slightly different but just the same if he's in mainstream, even in a suport unit.

SA and SA+ disappear though. It seems if you HE your child is either statemented or 'normal' and there's nothing support-wise in between.

ommmward Mon 14-Sep-09 19:06:28

get yourself onto this mailing list. Those parents know everything you need to know!

My understanding of it is that you can either keep the statement in place, although they no longer have to provide any of the extra help or equipment once you remove your child from state education (or they only provide a tiny fraction of it), or you can tell them where to shove their statement. The only problem with a statement is that you can be held to providing an education in accordance with it, even though a lot of the issues and needs will be totally totally different outside the school environment.

But like I say, get yourself on the HE Special mailing list for proper answers.

madwomanintheattic Tue 15-Sep-09 02:16:28

curiouser and curiouser...

what about ar etc? surely the statement would lapse if the reviews were not carried out annually, and if the child re-entered school, a re-assessment would have to take place and new statement issued if appropriate?

(disclaimer - we have moved away from the uk for 2 years to work o'seas and dd2's statement has been rescinded for this reason... when we go back we have to start from scratch...)

macwoozy Tue 15-Sep-09 09:25:42

Thanks for replyingsmile

This is what I'm worried about madwoman. How will they be able to review and decide whether a statement still needs to be put in place if ds is home ed, especially if outside agencies will not be involved?

I would imagine it would be tremendously difficult to get a statement reinstated after several years of home ed if no evidence is available from a school. Ds's previous school put so much effort into getting his statement in the first place I just can't see how I would get one again without a schools involvement.

I will ask this on the other places suggested once I get back from my shopping trip. I really feel I need to do this but it's seems such a scary road to take.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now