Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

shoes for DS1 with sensory issues.

(7 Posts)
staryeyed Mon 14-Sep-09 15:42:09

We had a big thing months ago where Ds1 (4) refused to wear shoes. We went through daily up to hour battles to get them on his feet. We tried different shoes and ended up with canvas converse shoes these solved the problem over summer but DS refused to even try anything that look remotely like a normal trainer or shoe. We need to get him shoes for winter so cavas shoes are out because he needs something waterproof. We need velcro and something soft any recommendations?

logi Mon 14-Sep-09 17:24:47

my son is like this and only wears crocs or ugg boots.

debs40 Mon 14-Sep-09 17:28:20

I feel your pain!

My son is just like this. Does he like things snug or loose? Velcro did not work for DS at all. He kept on saying his shoes were too gappy. We eventually got some lace up Sketchers skate shoes (they're called Nollies). Not exactly school regulation but they don't mind. At least it gets him to school. He loves them and has just grown out of his so I've had to order another pair (not easy) which I hope will fit.

They've made such a difference as they're nice and snug and can be pulled tight.

staryeyed Mon 14-Sep-09 18:16:29

Dont crocs have holes? School said no boots.

We dont know what he likes - non verbal. there doesnt seem to be any pattern. Wouldn't wear sandals either.

Marne Mon 14-Sep-09 18:42:21

Surely the school should let him wear what ever he finds comfortable, i would have a word with the school and explain how sensitive he is with shoes.

I like these boots boots.

staryeyed Mon 14-Sep-09 19:19:52

well they didnt actually say no boots just said it would be easier if the children had shoes.

they look nice marne. Are they velcroed? we have not yet tried boots but I dont know if ds would allow us to put his feet in boots that didn't open up.

Marne Mon 14-Sep-09 19:51:57

I don't think are velcro, i think they just pull on, they are like croc's but boots, Brantano had them last year, dd1 (as) tried some on and loved them but they didn't have her size (too big).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now