Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Need a little SALT help please

(3 Posts)
beldaran Mon 14-Sep-09 08:33:34

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone could give me some advice as to what i should be doing about the following situation.

My DD is going to be 3 in Nov she has Athetoid Spastic Quad CP. She cannot sit or walk unaided, but is able to do most other things.
She started a SN nursery in April and has just gone back lsat week.

Before she started the nursery we didnt really have all that much SALT input, the woman was supposed to be the most senior SALT in the county but she was as much use as a chocolate teapot! All questions we had about speech were dismissed.

So, as she was starting the SN nursery which has a SALT who goes in to the classes we thought we would leave it and see if this new SALT was going to be any better.

Well we saw her once before the summer holidays and she said she would see us again during the holidays and send us some excercises to do. Neither of which has materialised.

My main concern is that DD is trying so hard to talk but we don't know how to help her. I am going to talk to the nursery this morning about my concerns but is there anything we can do at home to help her speech? Are there specific sounds/words that we should concentrate on first? She can say (or we can make out) hiya,mom,all gone and all done. We tend to follow her cues as to what she wants to do next and speech seems to be the next thing to attempt.

Should we look at private SALT provision? Or are there any books i can read or is it worth making a bit of a fuss about it?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

moondog Mon 14-Sep-09 09:05:04

Make a fuss.
Ring sept, ask for name and email of them anger and write saying that yuo want to make a 'formal complaint' re non appearence of promised intervention. (Keep it pleasant obviously).

I virtually guarantee they will get back to you asap. Trusts are terrified of 'official/formal complaints'. May sound liek a drastic step but unless yuo step it up to this level, you will probably be faffed around.

moondog Mon 14-Sep-09 09:05:23

dept. (ie department)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now