Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do you do if dc wheelchair breaks

(7 Posts)
Phoenix4725 Sun 13-Sep-09 19:20:03

Asking this as had to do repair job on ds tyre due to puncture.Do have number for repairs that wheelchair services gave me but if had to do what do you do in the meantime?eee

LissyGlitter Sun 13-Sep-09 19:35:57

Apparently a thing called "tyre slime" exists that is really good for wheelchair tyres. It's designed for bikes but DP has an ex who uses a wheelchair and he says it is ace to stop punctures.

Phoenix4725 Sun 13-Sep-09 20:08:00

will look out for that , ita mor ethe oh feck kind of problem that worries me do they lend you chairs or would end up confined to house?

ChopsTheDuck Mon 14-Sep-09 09:23:25

I have no idea but I would bet that it probably varies according to the local wcs in any case.

What I would do if that happens and you don't get a courtesy chair is call the red cross. They do short term loans and have equipment suitable for children.

meltedmarsbars Mon 14-Sep-09 09:54:44

The slime doesn't work if its thorn punctures like we get - far better is to get the Kevlar strips that mountain bikers use that go inside the tyre between the inner tube and outer layer, available from bike shops.

We have two chairs: a powered indoor one and a pushchair type, both are clamp-able in our WAV.

Failing that: feet up, telly on, glass of wine, and wait for someone else to do it all?smile

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 14-Sep-09 19:30:18

we have a repair number and they usually come out same day. But I always ask for solid tyres on dd's wheelchair. dd's chair is very supportive cos she cant sit so she couldn't use a hire one.

Phoenix4725 Mon 14-Sep-09 19:54:32

thank you we did try hire one once the seat chair was same size but lol the foot rests dont move so ds legs were in mid air as he is so tiny.

ok will look out for kevlar strips here seems be the glass on mornings at weekends after people seemed think funny smash their bottles

lol going need bag of repair stuff when away or out for day.

think be well if you want him in school head better come collect sinc eI dont drive and ds could not walk but the wine sounds good by the bottle please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now