Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT- does anyone's pre-schooler get one to one daily?

(11 Posts)
Pages Fri 03-Jun-05 18:43:06

I was just feeling a bit fed up with the level of input DS gets from the SALT - a visit every 6 weeks, and a few tips on makaton, blowing, trainer cups, copying babble, you know - the usual.

When his statement is in place what is the chance of me getting a SALT into his nursery daily to work with him on his play and language skills? I know he will be entitled to an extra 10 hours support but how does this work in practice, and can I specify that I want an OT or SALT to go in to his nursery and work with him, or am I being very naive?

Jimjams Fri 03-Jun-05 18:48:25

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sorry- that sounds awful- and it is an entirely reasonable request, but nope. OT's are rarer than hen's teeth and SALTs are a bit more common, but no chance.

For comparison. DS1 is non-verbal and attended a ms school with no knowledge of anything. He was meant to get a SALT visit about 4 times a term instead he got it twice in one year.

When his SALT went on maternity leave we were able to get the LEA to pay for his private SALT to visit but only because it was specified in parts 2 and 3 of his statement. I did get it written into his statement that his LSA should do SALT activities in a daily basis, but to be honest she didn't really know whast she was doing. ON his NHS SALTs caseload ds1 was recognised as being the child most in need of her services in our City (she had to prioritise children when she went on maternity leave- he was numbr 1) and as you can see we got very little.

He gets more in special school (or would if he would enter the room) but ironically doesn't need it as much as the whole school day is structured to teach communication.

Jimjams Fri 03-Jun-05 18:49:46

He sees an OT about once ever 6 months or so btw.

The support will be provided by a nursery worker (paid at the minimum wage and probably untrained).

Blossomhill Fri 03-Jun-05 18:52:52

Pages - I am afraid that unless you paid someone privately there is no way you would get that, even then it would be impossible. SALT's and OT's are so hard to come by. My dd is in a school with a language unit and has an onsite SALT. When she went into nursery she did get SALT everyday for an hour but now that she is older it is twice a week. Quite often the SALT will set work for the assistants to do.

Pages Fri 03-Jun-05 20:51:53

Thanks, I'm getting the picture! Don't worry, Jimjams, I actually had an image while I was writing my post of you all reading it and clutching your sides, and roaring with laughter.

So basically, in nursery it's the nrsery worker who provides the extra one to one and in school it's the LSA...

coppertop Fri 03-Jun-05 20:58:02

Ds2 (2.4yrs) gets one session of SALT a month. He uses the sensory room for an hour each week. After his last IDP it looks as though he may also be getting sensory integration therapy too. These all take place at either the hospital or a community health centre so not within a pre-school or nursery. This is also a lot more OT than ds1 had.

Jimjams Fri 03-Jun-05 20:58:56

yep- and it was bitter, hollow, laughter because I remember trying to argue with the LEA for SALT contact. Of course the irony is now he's been given weekly SALT he refuses to go in the bloody room and accorsing to the report I've just receieved spoends most of the time trying to examine the light switches

mamadadawahwah Fri 03-Jun-05 22:02:11

Oh how depressing. My 2 yr old ds is being assessed next month at the child development clinic for his speech delay. Just what good is it going to do? He isnt in nursery yet (too young) am i going to get my hopes up after waiting 8 months, to be told he will get help once a month? Is that how it all works?

Do you have any tips, those who have been through it, how to "start as you mean to go on", from the outset, i.e. from the assessment onwards? Should i be asking particular questions and demanding things from the get go?
thank u

kid Fri 03-Jun-05 22:52:45

The appointments with a SALT are usually once every 6-8 weeks, during which time you are given games to play at home to help.

At DD's school, there is SALT that works with groups of children once every week thanks to surestart.

coppertop Fri 03-Jun-05 23:36:47

Appointments here are usually once every 4 weeks but during term-time only. A lot will depend on the reason for the speech delay. Ds2 (2.4yrs) sees the SALT for 45mins once a month. The SALT uses the time to assess any progress made since the last visit and then to see whether ds2 is ready for the next stage. She then gives me materials to use with him during the month until the next appointment. It's worth asking if there are any particular books she recommends. Our SALT is great and has lots of ideas about which activities to try next.

mogwai Sat 04-Jun-05 20:42:03

groan

depressing thread! I'm one of the poor SLTs that has to leave work for an LSA to do. I often return to find it's not been done, it's been lost, it's been changed or, worse still, they have abandoned it and "used the stuff you gave us for another child".

I sometimes think - what's the point?

This can be just as depressing for the SALT as anyone else. There's not much you can do to change it, I'm afraid, but if your school is employing a new LSA to work with your child, you might be able to specify certain qualifications or experience. In my experience, young LSAs are keener than dinner ladies who want the extra cash, some are excellent and follow everything to the word.

It also makes a difference if it's written into the child's statement that time must be available for the teacher or LSA to PLAN with the SLT. There's nothing worse than having to conduct "planning" sessions with an LSA who wants to go home cos it's 3.30pm

Of course, it's a huge problem, but it CAN work beautifully if the school are committed and the LSA is good. Not trying to start a row or invite SLT bashing, just sympathising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now