Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone had a wrong diagnosis or diagnosis changed

(11 Posts)
lars Fri 03-Jun-05 11:58:13

My ds has been dignosed with O.D.D ( Oppostional difiance disorder).I do think he shows that he does have this but i think maybe its masking something like asphergers as he does not like to join in PE, or large group work at school plus school play,etc. prefers to play on one to one or very small groups or not at all.
Therefore I am interested is the first diagnosis always the correct one. larsxx

lars Sun 05-Jun-05 18:58:45

HELLO!!!!! ANYONE THERE

Davros Sun 05-Jun-05 19:02:02

Oh god Lars, I was going to post on this ages ago. I seem to have got side tracked today!
I haven't had this experience quite in the same way you mean I suppose but I think its not uncommon to start with a more general dx that then becomes more specific iyswim. We started with Severe Language Disorder when DS was 2 that quickly became ASD which is accurate.
WHo has given the ODD dx? Its quite unusual I think. I can't remember how old your DS is either so maybe that would make a difference, i.e. they're describing one, very noticeable, part of his issues but not yet recognising or understanding other parts iyswim.
SOrry if this doesn't help much. I'm sure others have had dxs that have changed but possibly in the same way as me.

coppertop Sun 05-Jun-05 19:14:17

I think a dx can change as the child gets older and their difficulties become more obvious. Ds1's case was fairly straightforward in terms of dx. We got a verbal dx of ASD and then a written dx to confirm it. Ds2's case has been a little different, mainly because of his age. We got a provisional verbal dx of ASD, followed by a verbal "He has all the signs of AS but we'll leave the official dx until next year" and he is now in a program designed for children with complex communication disorders as well as getting OT for sensory problems. Hopefully this will all be clarified next year.

lars Sun 05-Jun-05 19:17:03

Thanks davros for posting, i may not always be on mumsnets all the time.
Child phsy has made the diagnosis along with speech delay, but I know he hasn't got to the bottom of it and rightly told him so.DS is 7yrs. But this is affecting his whole school life and goes part time to school and has got a statement at school. larsxx

Davros Sun 05-Jun-05 19:52:46

Lars, do you mean psychiatrist? I wonder if you should see someone else, whatever that first professional is. Is it an option? Its all clearly having an impact on your DS. If you've made it clear that you're not satisfied that they've got to the bottom of it then do you have someone else to try? Local Paed for instance or EP? Or private (££ ugh!)

Chocol8 Sun 05-Jun-05 20:14:42

Let's see if I can kill this thread too - I was still grinding my axe on the other other one...I wondered where you'd all gone!

Ahhh, the air seems alot cleaner on this thread [sniff emoticon]

Chocol8 Sun 05-Jun-05 20:15:30

Oh pooh, wrong thread - I don't know what happened, sorry. x

Davros Sun 05-Jun-05 21:22:51

Choc, you killed it anyway {grin]

Blossomhill Sun 05-Jun-05 21:44:21

My dd was wrongly diagnosed with adhd. If the person dx'ing had spent more time with dd she would have realised that she has lots of sensory difficulties associated with her language disorder.

lars Tue 07-Jun-05 14:18:56

I think that a further investigation is required for my ds. I've seen all the so called experts. But really i am not impressed with the child psych and local paed. They don't spend long enough with ds to really assess.

The child psychiatrist send he doesn't want to give ds too many lables. But I just want the correct diagnosis. LARSXX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now