Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What does the SENCO do?

(7 Posts)
jamsandwich Thu 10-Sep-09 21:46:14

I've just posted in primary education, but maybe here is better?!

DD has selective mutism and has just started reception. There is a real lack of direction with meeting her needs - had a meeting last term that was basically just about planning her settling in/ preparation, but nothing about when she's actually at school proper. Ed Psych involved but I think she's waiting for me to contact her, had SLT but not very interested in dd, getting little info about how she's managing from teachers. DD just tells me about times she has cried and no one has noticed (because she even does that silently) sad although overall she does seem to be enjoying. Hasn't spoken there except when I am present each morning.

Already have a reputation there I think, so want to handle carefully. Soooo, can I expect SENCO to be proactive and approach me to plan how they are going to support her? I have some ideas for what I want school to do but don't know if teacher can agree to them herself or if need to go via head or SENCO? How does it all work?!

Any advice welcome.

wasuup3000 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:08:31

There are usually four types of funding a school gets for SEN Jamsandwich.

School Action
School Action Plus
Enhanced School Action Plus (funding without a statement of SEN)
Statement of SEN (funding with legal conditions of what must happen)

Most children (unless they have other difficulties) will be placed on School Action Plus as usually there will be a Ed Psych (EP)
involved or a Speech and Language Therapist.

Each school has a EP allocated to them.

Ask your teacher if you can arrange to meet and discuss your daughter next week.

At the meeting ask if you can arrange for your daughter to have an IEP and if needs be (Teacher may not understand SM very well) could the SENco be present at this first meeting. Ask the Teacher about the school involving the SLT and EP to help advise them.
Give very simple information at first-maybe a SMIRA leaflet-nothing to heavy.

Also google your local parent partnership service and chat with them just in case you run into any problems.

wasuup3000 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:13:22

"Most children with SM"

jamsandwich Thu 10-Sep-09 22:14:24

oh, you are marvellous! Thank you.

I'd be fine if there was just one key person to talk to like in Social Services, but it's so bewildering landing in an unfamiliar culture (Education) and needing to work out how to get things organised straight away.

wasuup3000 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:15:59


Yes it is something new to learn!

wasuup3000 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:18:43

You can order this by email on teachernet-don't try to print it off!!

It is very useful!

wasuup3000 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:22:31

Try and watch This Morning tomorrow 10.30amish too-or get it recorded.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: