Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

New year group, new teach, new problms, anyone hlp me?

(6 Posts)

DD1 has just into year 2 in school, this is the first full week back and i got called in to see teacher after school. background is:
In year 2 they all have special jobs like hall helper, lunch time helper ect ect. They were all given their roles on friday. DD1 was choosen to be hall helper which involves setting out chairs for ass, stopping and playing CDs for singing in ass and packing away. Well by monday, she had got herself in a panic by tuesday she was nearly having breakdown, so i called her teacher and explained. She said she would be there whole time, it wouldbe fine.
Well today she had a huge breakdown infront of whole school. She didnt know what side of the cd player she was going to sit at, what button to press when ect ect. Teacher told me she calmed down but wanted to talk stragies to help dd1.
TBH though, i had explained all this before end of term last year, she gave her the hardest job infront of everyone, and then dd1 said that her teacher said "if you dont stop crying you wont get to do this job anymore and you wont get a sticker" in a nasty voice

I did tell them they had to tell little details, that she panics in new situations, she is very shy and struggles when she doesnt know what is coming next. I need to go and talk to teacher tomorrow, but am iover reacting to be a little naffed off, when they had been told about dd1 last term, and then they go and get her this role? Also dd1 is saying she doesnt want to do it anymore, getting herself in a right state, i dont knowwhat to do.

thanks for reading if you got this far, and can you tell im new o all this? blush]

help before 3pm today would be great

badkitty Thu 10-Sep-09 09:14:50

I don't think you are over-reacting at all, the teacher sounds to have been incredibly insensitive and completely missed the point with giving her this role. Think you should be polite with the teacher of course, don't want to alienate her, but you should be quite assertive as to what your DD needs, explain again what she has difficulties with and if you think she should be given a less stressful role then insist that they do this (but that they do it in a nice way with her without making her feel like she is being punished).n Good luck!

r3dh3d Thu 10-Sep-09 09:22:23

I'm a bit confused - sorry, not a new thing.

Has she changed teacher or not? On the one hand you are saying new year group new teacher, and on the other saying they had been told about dd1 last term. Not being picky, just typed a reply and realised it might be complete rubbish, depending. blush

yes new teacher. They were told last term as we met with new teachers before they broke up for summer and also they would have had all the info from previous teacher.
She was in floods of tears this morning as she didnt want to go to school because she didnt want to be a hall helper anymore. she loves school and learning, but think this might be a new challenge for us.
Going to meet her at 3pm

Marne Thu 10-Sep-09 13:03:10

Hi, i would ask for a meeting with the teacher so you can suggest how the teacher should handle these situations. Maybe suggest that your dd gets a simple job to do that involves one task (eg, put the chairs out but no putting music on ect). My dd would also panic having to do all these things each day, dd is in class 2 and enjoys doing simple tasks like taking the teachers cup back to the staff room or taking the register to the office but could not cope with doing 2 or 3 things together.

I hope all turns out ok, its stressful enough changing classes and teachers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now