Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sleep

(15 Posts)
claw3 Tue 08-Sep-09 14:04:01

Sorry seem to be taking over the boards today!

Ds5 doesnt go to sleep until 3 - 3.30am and gets up at 7.30am. He never seems to get tired and its getting worse.

Anyone have the same problem? What did you do? Does anything work/help?

rosie39forever Tue 08-Sep-09 15:06:58

Am no stranger to 3.30 am so bumping for you.

claudialyman Tue 08-Sep-09 15:33:56

Hi. We had a similar situation until a year ago. In our case DS didnt seem able to calm down and stop moving long enough to get to sleep. GP and paediatrician didnt see a need for medication (hmm)

New GP put him on vallergan (prescription antihistamine). Massive improvement. makes him drowsy enough to get into a deep sleep. Made a huge difference to his health, I hadn't realised how much sleep he actually needed and wasn't getting.

With the antihistamines it can be a bit hit and miss to get the right one. First time we tried one (different brand) he "went the other way" and stayed up till 5.30....and the right dosage matters.

Good luck!

bubblagirl Tue 08-Sep-09 15:40:19

could you get onto your paed for melatonin bubbla boy was the same with sleep and paed gave us melatonin it helps induce sleep and is a natural hormone so doesnt have any known side affects

doesnt keep ds asleep but i find he does settle easier when he does wake it can also be given again after 4 hrs

tibni Tue 08-Sep-09 16:01:20

ds (ASD) has been on melatonin for a few months and it woks for us.

He was in a very bad place and it was a choice of melatonin or stronger medication as he had "shut down" and we needed to reassure him and help reduce his stress.

He has changed schools and with the help of melatonin is now sleeping and he is making huge advances in his development and is my happy little boy again.

It doesn't work for all children but if your paed is willing it is worth a try.

bubblagirl Tue 08-Sep-09 17:29:59

i know your having probs with paed at the moment but maybe this is something you can bring up and maybe kick start them doing more for you

ive found with ds when he has good nights sleep or at least falls asleep at reasonable time his sensitivities lesson to a huge extent so may be worth while getting onto paed

claw3 Wed 09-Sep-09 10:59:59

Thanks ladies will google melatonin.

Bubblagirl - Hopefully the ball will start rolling now that i have made an official complaint. Not sure how many more 3am - 7.30am,with about 5 wake ups in between, i can take in the meantime!

I look like a zombie with dark circles under my eyes who has been dragged through a hedge backwards most days! No social or love life!!

othermother Wed 09-Sep-09 11:14:26

Hi claw3,

you have my sympathy. My son was pretty much the same but has been on melatonin now for 3 weeks and although it's not a miracle cure it certainly helps. He is now settling down a lot earlier than before and aside from wetting the bed (I suppose cos he's sleeping for longer) I've also found that his behaviour has changed for the better - far less meltdowns, less licking and ticcing.

I hope you manage to get some and that it works for your dc. x

claw3 Wed 09-Sep-09 12:30:25

Thanks othermother.

Just had a quick google and read about it. Does it come in liquid form and what does it taste like?

bubblagirl Wed 09-Sep-09 18:43:08

claw3 you can get it in liquid form called kidnaps and it has a mild fruity taste ds is ok taking it real quick from syringe but it can be disguised

its not miracle cure but ds has been on it 6 mths and the wakings varie but main thing ive noticed is behaviour and sensitivities have lessoned i have to give it to him at certain time as if he is over tired it wont work but i had 3 am sleep and 7 am wakings for long time so really sympaphise

lets hope pead gets back to you soon and you can bring this issue to light and ask for melatonin

claw3 Sun 13-Sep-09 09:39:22

Hi Bubbla - I was reading that when weighted blankets are used, they produce more natural melatonin and was wondering did you ever give those a try?

donkeyderby Sun 13-Sep-09 10:05:03

melatonin to get ds1 to sleep and valergan forte to keep him asleep. The forte bit means it's stronger than straight valergan. Over a year, we have reduced the dose of the valergan. He still wakes at night but not as much and tends to go back to sleep

bubblagirl Sun 13-Sep-09 12:02:02

no i didnt give the weighted blanket a try 1 they were very expensive and 2 ds hates blankets on him at a night time so thought it really would be an expensive waste of time he hates being covered

claw3 Wed 16-Sep-09 09:27:34

Morning Bubbla - yes thats true, ds doesnt like to be covered and at about £100 a time, thats an expensive duster!

hmm weighted blankets and super glue, now theres an idea

Thanks ladies, i will be mentioning melatonin to the Paed on next visit.

bubblagirl Wed 16-Sep-09 13:40:29

morning claw ys ds really doesnt like anything to bulky and likes to kick covers off i have found since ds started school with melatonin his sleep has become better i think mentally his more tired and thats where our problems lie so his actually sleeping better now but still needs the melatonin to fall asleep

make sure you ask for it rather than mention it just say you know many children with sensitivity problems who dont sleep who have improved hugely with melatonin and you would like to give it a try also

keep me posted with how things are going i will e mail you soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now