Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

learning sounds to read when non verbal

(14 Posts)
Phoenix4725 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:46:03

Need some help please ds has started ms and this week they are starting teach children sounds and letters.

Need idears on how to teach /help ds teachers has no idears is there softwarre etc he uses makton signing , none has pecs training infact there is no makton ssymbols they just use pictures .He is non verbal with a recptive age of 2.7 and GDD functions around 2.6 he is 4.2

Thank you

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 08-Sep-09 13:59:40

I taught my (then) non verbal son the letter sounds using one particular section of the jolly phonics DVD (sold in Early Learning Centre or on line). there is a bit at the end where a nice lady enunciates each sound w
while a big letter appears to her left. I did a group of 5 letters every night, for about 2/3 weeks, rewarding him with chocolate when he also had an attempt at making the sound. After a while, he stopped protesting and really seemed to enjoy it, as iit was something reliable, which always hhappened, and which seemed to calm him down. I would only move onto the next 5 lletter group once he had the previous ones aabsolutely off pat. It took me 6 months, but he has retained them really well because oof this systematic and slow approach. It also helped him talk, as once he knew his pphonics well, he could work out that c a t ssounded out the word "cat". I did all this wwhen DS was about 4 so it's the same ttiming. I will admit that at first I had to pphysically hold him in front of the TV, which was on the floor in teh bedroom, so really close up. But it worked and may be worth a try with your DS?? Good luck!

staryeyed Tue 08-Sep-09 14:02:37

ds1 used to really enjoy starfall.com for letters and sounds.

Phoenix4725 Tue 08-Sep-09 14:05:34

THank you

ah wonder if will work, its not that ds does not want to communicate he cant make sounds any sounds due to the verbal/oral dyspraxia can not even make animal sounds

.Need something for school as he will be to tired to do much at home due to long days

Phoenix4725 Tue 08-Sep-09 14:08:17

just looked at starfall that might help , its proving to teachers as well that he can do things just not the tradtional way

sodit Tue 08-Sep-09 14:11:21

ds1 has starting teaching himself this using alfie bear so that may help at home. He now knows which letters say which sounds and if you say what does a word start with if you emphasise the first letter he will point to the letter. He also practises saying the letter sounds when i hold up a card then he tries to say the word he enjoys it and i sometimes hear him doing it all by himself, bless him. sorry no help with the software though blush

Phoenix4725 Tue 08-Sep-09 14:19:02

sounds good just seems so bloody hard for him yet he trys so hard,where most his problems stem from is the lack of speech

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 08-Sep-09 19:15:23

dd is learning letter sounds. Right now se is doing S words and has to indicate yes or no if a word begins with S.
No idea if she will ever read though as her vision is so bad.

Phoenix4725 Tue 08-Sep-09 19:26:12

hmm true that would be something ds could do pretty easy , its just thinking out the box and blending sound swith him going be a no.Thank you

mulsey Tue 08-Sep-09 20:08:41

I dont want to be the voice of doom here, as my daughter is 8 and still nonverbal.

Research has shown that if kids dont have verbal language, this makes it much much more difficult to learn to use letters and read. Something about the way the brain processes all the information.

So at my daughters school they have lessons both in phonics and in reading using symbols - covering all bases.

Phoenix4725 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:21:38

yeah am guessing he will have trouble with words he knows what horse is and he can sign it but would not link the word horse with it.

Yes thinking symbals to but as yet none traine din school there not even using symbols we use makton ones at home hell tehy had 3 hrs of makton i done 48 but tahst other rant

TotalChaos Tue 08-Sep-09 20:24:30

In the "good old days" 30 plus years ago, they used sight reading rather than phonics to teach kids to read, maybe your DS would get on better with a more visual way of working....

glitteryb6 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:27:52

i thought the jolly phonics cd was a bit dreary TBH so i got the BBC fun with phonics cd's, they are fab!
Its the wee 5 minute programme that is sometimes on cbeebies if you've ever seen it?
they do letters and sounds ,reading and handwriting each has a 30 minute dvd and a wee book to go along with it, £6.99 each!

anonandlikeit Tue 08-Sep-09 21:32:33

ds2 is 6.5 (asd & cp) he cannot read words but can recognise individual letters.

The phonics system does have an action/sign for each letter. If your ds has picked up makaton well, it may be that the visual prompts of the actions may bne a good way to start.

We started by showing ds2 the letter, saying the sound & making the action. With time & repetition he was able to do the action when we held up the letter, now he says the letter sound.

We are just introducing words, so we show a picture of a dog... say the word dog & ds2 has to pick the letter cards d, o & g.
We've not had much progress so far but I think he is grasping the concept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now