Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA for non-autistic kids

(6 Posts)
donkeyderby Mon 07-Sep-09 18:09:32

DS1's DP worker is training in ABA and currently works with a severely autistic child as well. She thinks ABA would be good for ds1 as he has behavioural problems and SLD - he also has many autistic traits, like most SLD kids I have met. Perhaps because he has no ASD diagnosis, there seems to be no consistent approach available to deal with his behaviour.

Does anyone know of ABA programmes for non-autistic children? Have they been successful or useful?

Davros Mon 07-Sep-09 18:18:36

I know a child who has done ABA and does not have a dx of ASD. If you think of it as a teaching method that can be applied to all skills at all levels and can be individualised then its easier to imagine. I think more people in the USA use ABA with non-ASD kids but here it has become very strongly identified but there is really no reason why. I suppose it goes back to the Lovaas studies which were with children with ASD. You should be able to find providers etc if you want unless they are doing formal research which may require specific dx, IQ tests etc.

sickofsocalledexperts Mon 07-Sep-09 19:38:10

I think the principles of ABA work pretty well with all children, SEN or not SEN. A lot of it is just back to common sense and boundaries!

donkeyderby Mon 07-Sep-09 21:55:00

It's a shame that there seems to be no funding for ABA for non-ASD children, though I realise there is little funding for ASD either.

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 23:47:10

Yes. Plenty going on, much of which I am involved in (with great successs).
ABA can be used with any population at all. It is merely a tool the tool being undersatanding the use of reinforcement.

The latest research from Norway shows very promising results with kids with general LD who recieve just 2/3 hours of LD a day.

moondog Mon 07-Sep-09 23:47:24

receive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now