Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

oh FFS

(25 Posts)
TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 07-Sep-09 18:04:44

DLA renewed and awarded until dd is 11. Why 11? Why just 5 years? She has the severest CP possible. It never ever gets better. she will never walk or sit.
But they cant risk awarding it till she's 16, oh no.
argh

Jimmychasesducks Mon 07-Sep-09 18:09:08

tis normal. dd got it extended(I think it is when she is 16, or this year) silly as it is not like she will be cured

Mitchell81 Mon 07-Sep-09 18:32:45

That is odd as DD's is indefinite. At least you don't have to think about it for 5 years though.

daisy5678 Mon 07-Sep-09 18:42:44

I was told that it's to monitor changes e.g. if they start sleeping through the night, they aren't entitled to higher mobility or hig rate care.

Still a pain, but every child's sleep patterns change as they get older (fingers crossed, hey.)

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 07-Sep-09 19:13:03

its mad that someone with full body quadraplegia, incontinent, blind and non-verbal would not get full rate care if they slept the night!

daisy5678 Mon 07-Sep-09 19:30:08

It's one of those random rules though, isn't it. I guess it's to do with the fact that someone who needs looking after all day and through the night takes a greater toll than someone who sleeps for 12 hours or whatever, giving the carer a bit of a break. I suppose they're looking at it through the amount of time that's taken up, not how needy the disability is, iyswim.

glitteryb6 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:43:23

ds's is indefinite too, first time CAB filled in the form and we only got middle rate for 2 years until i asked them to look at it again.
this time i did it myself in my own words and went into a lot of detail and it came back high rate indefinately

glitteryb6 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:45:51

i also ignored all those online guides to filling in the forms as they just tell everyone to write the same thing over and over, used to date a Doc who looked at DLA forms and he said you could tell when it was copied direct off the internet

donkeyderby Mon 07-Sep-09 21:52:28

It seems to be a random decision IMO. I know someone whose child got life DLA and other children - like my own - who only get 3 or 5 years max. They all have very similar needs. Maybe it depends on the person looking at the form, what mood they are in, what they had for breakfast etc., etc., like most quite a lot of decisions

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 07-Sep-09 22:08:17

I think they just won't award higher rate indefinitely until they're older. Ds1 finally had his higher rate care and mobility awarded without an end date this year - he's 10. It's been obvious for years there is no miracle around the corner.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 08-Sep-09 07:20:29

I bet at 11 they award it till 16. Just so I can fill in the forms twice more.
I did wonder if its because she is life limited and isn't actually expected to live past 10. They don't want to accidently pay too much.

glitteryb6 Tue 08-Sep-09 10:29:28

ds was awarded high rate indefinately from his 5th birthday so think donkeyderby is right and it just depends who looks at the form TBH

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 08-Sep-09 10:51:17

mad isn't it. Well, just so's you don't miss out, when dd turns 11 you can come and fill it in with me grin

Jimmychasesducks Tue 08-Sep-09 12:36:35

sorry off topic

riven you can get a free trial of boardmaker here

claw3 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:11:28

They are totally bonkers, my ds is incontinent, doesnt eat, sleep etc, etc, etc and ive been turned down 3 times because 'his needs are not above and beyond'

Im not sure what planet they live on.

glitteryb6 Tue 08-Sep-09 13:25:01

I'll mark that in my diary Riv! grin

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 08-Sep-09 14:27:06

haven't forgotten about the cosytoes glittery. Just waiting for the new to arrive. Its coming down from Scotland so you could drop it in grin

glitteryb6 Tue 08-Sep-09 15:00:50

Ironically its not that far from ds's old nursery but they dont have a shop they only sell over the internet otherwise i'd have been up there!
hopefully you'll get it before she's 11! grin

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 10-Sep-09 14:57:05

new one arrived. Will hopefully post you old one tomorrow

glitteryb6 Thu 10-Sep-09 17:00:47

Oooh Fab! just in time for the sh*tey weather! grin

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 11-Sep-09 07:48:18

well, its another 16 weeks before the car actually arrives....

misscutandstick Fri 11-Sep-09 09:22:27

dearlord! 16wks???? are they mining the ore for the metal personally???

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 11-Sep-09 14:36:38

it always takes that long although I did have a paddy with the last car cos I was car free so it was only 9 weeks.
It has to be ordered then adapted.
I wannit NOW

glitteryb6 Fri 11-Sep-09 17:23:46

Brook miller told me 12 weeks and it came in less than half that time, had to scrape all the money together fast!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 11-Sep-09 17:32:01

eeeek. I haven't even thought about where we will find the 2K. Just added 10K to the mortgage for the adaptations (and that was a battle!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now