Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS laughing fits are so odd...

(35 Posts)
mysonben Mon 07-Sep-09 15:20:06

DS is 3.10 and mild asd, he always had a kind of manic laughter.
He will often laugh for no reason that we can see hmm

It's peculiar really and the way he does laugh so wildly and loud blush i find people look at him sometimes and grin. He always goes over the top with it iykwim?

When people giggle including kids , ds who more often than not hasn't got a clue as to why others are laughting, start his maniaco laugh grinand he keeps this up for ages , somedays it's almost constant all i hear is him laughting his head off...and it's grating on my nerves after a while.
I try to tell him to stop , he does , but soon starts again.

Is this something asd kids do?
I know NT kids can get the fits of giggles too, but honestly DS is ott with it, and i can recall ds1 doing it.

mysonben Mon 07-Sep-09 15:21:33

Ooops ...meant to write "can't recall ds1 doing it!"

logi Mon 07-Sep-09 15:58:32

my ds does this but my other 3 dc didnt do it.My son loves "you been framed " and i know it can be funny but when he watches it he laughs a really crazy laugh.

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 16:00:27

ds1 does this. it comes and goes in phases. If your at all interested in biomed it did improve for us when we were treating him and has come back since we have stopped so much. Does he also spin?

mysonben Mon 07-Sep-09 16:12:34

DS has moments when he will walk in circles or back and forth across the room, also he loves to lay across the desk chair and spin on it , but no self body spinning.

The laugh thing has always been there really, but some days it is more evident, he will just laugh at everything and nothing!

But it isn't the fact that he laughs that is a bother(after all i prefer him to laugh than cry wink), no what's a bother is the way he does laugh, there's no good way to describe it... it's loud, manic, totally exasgerated sounding. He simply doesn't look or sound your full packet when he does it sad
I swear if he still does it in a few years , we are going to get some funny looks! hmm

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 16:22:43

Ds has started this sort of dr evil laugh -"mwah ha ha ha". I like it and think its cute but no doubt it would get strange looks if he did it when we are out. It may just be a phase.

Barmymummy Mon 07-Sep-09 17:33:46

Yes, can relate. Although DS laughs at the appropriate time, it can be over the top. When he properly laughs or giggles he is hilarious and adorable. When he does the 'fake' type laugh its really quite annoying hmm

tink123 Mon 07-Sep-09 18:16:24

DD did this at exactly same age as yours but grew out of it after 6 months

waitingforgodot Mon 07-Sep-09 18:24:29

My DS does this too. Uncontrollable fits of the giggles rather than a weird laugh.
Staryeyed-I am interested in Biomed. Tell me more. DS is a definite spinner.

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 18:51:52

Well Im no expert hence the stopping for now until we hopefully get some funding so that we can get advice from an experienced practitioner. However spinning and uncontrollable laughing can be indicators of yeast overgrowth in the gut. Although we didnt treat yeast itself we found that following the GFCFSF diet and using enzymes and specific multi vits and minerals as well as trialling other supplements completely got rid off that behaviour as well as lining things up, running up and down a room constantly, food fussiness tantrums head banging etc. Now we have stopped the biomed stuff for now all of these behaviours have all returned. Its quite weird -like we have done a complete circle back to when DS1 was 2.

waitingforgodot Mon 07-Sep-09 19:21:43

That is bizarre! Funnily enough, DS suffered from a sore bum constantly-I thought it was a fungal type thing=candida. I have put him on gf wheat free diet with goats milk instead of cows milk. Lo and behold, no sore bum. Have done this combined with some Sensory Integration stuff which we were given to do at home and the change in behaviour has been incredible. He has stopped hitting himself and spinning. He is also much calmer. What made you stop the biomed stuff?

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 19:29:16

Ds also had persistent nappy rash that would not be cleared. He still had cradle cap stuff on his head which are also signs of yeast over growth.

We just lost our way. Was getting to confused trying to work out what was having some effect and what was having no effect. There are a few things that I can definitely say had a positive effect but others I have no idea and it was getting very expensive just trying it all. There are different protocols about what to do first etc so that the treatmetns work effectively. Also want to get some tests done to give more direction.

DS also seems to have improved since we switched back to his original enzymes but he is still displaying lots of strange behaviours.

waitingforgodot Mon 07-Sep-09 19:40:25

How old is your DS and how long did you stick with it?
Its early days for us but I read somewhere that you should give the GF diet a year to work. It seems like a loooong time!!

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 19:52:37

Ds is now 4.4 we did the biomed stuff until he was 3.2 we kept the diet and multivits but dropped everything else. Im quite sure the tantrums and head banging are gluten related ds has had several infractions at the time these behaviours started. Its well worth giving the diet a real go. It does get a bit tiresome especially when ds keeps taking bread, choc etc.

mysonben Mon 07-Sep-09 20:00:00

Stareyed, i just had a big shock reading your last post, i've always dismissed the diet approach as ds has mild issues.
Then you mention the craddle cap on the head...omg! DS has massive craddle cap patches all over his head (quite horrid!), i cannot seem to get rid of it. I will do the olive oil remedy then shampoo, condition ,scrape off the flakes thingy, and within a week it's all come back!
DS can get quite constipated too,...so maybe i should consider putting him on a gluten /yeast free diet?

waitingforgodot Mon 07-Sep-09 20:01:21

I saw you are applying for funding-what do you plan to do next if you dont mind me asking?

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 20:36:01

the cradle cap stuff is also supposed to be a sign of yeast issues. Ds's did go after doing biomed.

What we are asking for is funding to see Jean Muscroft (if she is taking new clients) and to get properly restarted with testing to see whether there are yeast issues allergies etc and also for AIT to see if it will help with DS language and sound sensitivity issues.

Barmymummy Mon 07-Sep-09 20:44:55

OMG!! Snap with the cradle cap!! Am really fascinated now....

waitingforgodot Mon 07-Sep-09 20:48:27

whats AIT?
Sorry for all the questions.

LauraIngallsWilder Mon 07-Sep-09 20:57:31

Hi mysonben - my son does this (he is 7 with a dx of aspergers) he will start laughing for no apperant reason

Often because he says I am 'pulling a face' - often because I am cross and he doesnt know how to react

If other kids laugh he will do his manic laugh just like your son!

Sometimes when I am trying to talk to him and he NEEDS to laugh, I ask him to go to his room to have a jolly good laugh!
Off he goes and laughs and laughs like a manic hyena - really crazy attention seeking false laughter!
Sometimes he now makes a decision for himself to go and have a laugh

staryeyed Mon 07-Sep-09 21:04:38

Auditory integratiopn training. I have to confess I dont fully understand it but it is supposed to really help with language. DS is completely non verbal and doesn't understand much at all.

I could make quite a list of the the healthsymptoms that DS used to have:

constant cough/cold (always snotty)
excessively sweaty (I mean really really)
red cheeks
red ears
persistent nappy rash (completely unlike normal baby rash tried every cream to treat but only the diet and enzyme shifted it)
dark circles
bloated belly- stuck out a fair bit
constant diarroeah (also smelt funny)
constant sticky eye (antibiotics didn't shift)
food fussiness (disappeared with enzymes but only a particular sort, have started these again, hoping to see some effect soon)

The thing is we managed to treat all these health issues and behavioural issues but never improved his language at all.

waitingforgodot Mon 07-Sep-09 21:26:26

Sounds interesting staryeyed.
I will read up on AIT when I get a minute.

mysonben Mon 07-Sep-09 23:14:47

Thank you ladies , this thread came up with lots of intersting points.

I will bring up the yeast/gluten diet thing (and craddle cap)at DS' next appointment.
I'd always wondered why he 's always had such gross craddle cap at his age really! Now i know.

It seems the manic laughter is indeed a by- product of asd, to be honest DS does look so funny when he starts i can't help myself but giggle sometimes. But his laugh is so crazy grin

I like the "manic hyena" ...LauraIW

BCNSback Tue 08-Sep-09 13:12:31

shock I thought it was just my ds that did this ! ( in the middle of getting a dx at the moment) OMG you all have manic laughers too!
We've already had the bit by the clinical psychologist where she says ds isn't picking up on the smaller social/ faial/ body language ques.. only the big ones. I did wonder if this is part of the reason why his emotions are always so dramatic? I'm happy and instead of a smile it's a massive grin.. instead if giggling.. it's rollong about slapping the floor and laughing loudly in a really false way!. shock

sphil Tue 08-Sep-09 23:09:31

DS2 also does the uncontrollable laughter from time to time - but much much less now that he's on a biomed regime. He used to break into tears for no apparent reason too, but now only does that rarely.

I do wonder about the yeast though, as he still does the laughing from time to time, has a persistent rash on his buttocks/groin which the dr diagnosed as a fungal infection and is often very catarrhal (or however you spell it). Does this awful old man hawking noise and then examines what he's produced <yuk>

I am wondering whether the gf bread mix we use (Orgran) has yeast in it? Or whether I used a different stock powder in his last batch of shepherds pie? Usually use the Marigold gf bouillon, but there is one that has yeast in it. Am off to check...

Had dreadful and persistent cradle cap until he was about 3 too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now