Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

new dx...do you get dla? your stories please.

(7 Posts)
logi Mon 07-Sep-09 13:22:20

My son has recently been dx with ASD,im thinking of applying for dla.He communicates well and is home educated because of his anxiety .How did your appllications for dla go particularly if they have good communication,thankyou

Marne Mon 07-Sep-09 13:51:19

Hi, Dd1 has Aspergers, good communication but some anxiety and she gets middle rate care.

Dd2 has ASD, poor communication, poor sleeper and a lot of sensory issues ,she gets higher rate.

Deeeja Mon 07-Sep-09 14:44:30

ds2 has asd, and adhd, he gets middle rate care and lrm. He should probably get hrc since he has alot of sleep issues, and is very unpredictable and not road safety aware. But I couldn't be bothered to appeal.
Ds3 has autism and gets hrc and hrm. He has sleep issues, and mobility problems. I went to appeal for him, but it was quite straightforward in the end.

streakybacon Mon 07-Sep-09 14:55:33

You should apply. You become so used to accommodating those additional needs that after a while you don't realise you're doing it. Use the Cerebra online guide to help with the forms.

I used to think that ds had good communication but as he gets older I realise he has lots of speech and language issues that haven't been addressed. How is your son with non-verbal communication, facial expressions, body language? It all adds up - it's not just about speech.

logi Mon 07-Sep-09 15:27:39

Hi streakybacon,your definately right our whole life revolves around ds and now we do everything to accommodate his needs,it sounds strange but i dont know how he is with facial expressions ,body language (how would i test this)because its just us at home,he is currently attending development unit where he was assessed.He has never slept through the night and he doesnt fit in with peers as he is controlling.One way i describe looking after him is that years ago i had 3 children under 4 and it was easier with them.

daisy5678 Mon 07-Sep-09 19:40:42

J has excellent communication in terms of vocab (if not upset/ stressed/ angry). He got middle rate care and low mobility pre-dx and now (post-dx of autism and ADHD, and post a long scrap with DLA people) gets high rate care and higher rate mobility.

logi Mon 07-Sep-09 19:47:29

hi gmms,it seems lots of people have to fight for what they are entilted to,for the past 5 years my life has changed dramatically yet sometimes it seems hard to put it on paper,i think after 5 years of nobody listening im still shock that someone else sees what we do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now